YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

My dad, who secretly took up diving three months ago to surprise me, has just been taken into hospital and diagnosed with an aneurysm in his aorta.  Looks like they´ll be opertaing within a week or so and I just wondered if anyone else has had any experience of this operation and whether it has any effect on diving?  He is 64 and otherwise in good health.  And, because he lives in Tenerife, is keen to get back in the seas as soon as possible.  Any info much appreciated.  

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Lesley

I'm sorry to hear about your father.

If and when he can get back diving will depend on many variables. How fit is he, how serious is the problem, post operative drugs (warfarin, aspirin) etc.

To be honest, this is really one for the surgeons and doctors. Not very helpful I know, but such thing are really down to personal circumstances. An aneurism is a swelling caused by disease or thin walls. The problem could occur again. A rupture can be caused by high bood pressure, brought on by exercise. From what I have read, I would not hold my hopes too high regarding your father's diving.

DAN may be worth a look, or just Google for "scuba aneurysm aorta" or similar.

Adrian

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks Adrian.  Doesn´t look great...

It´s such a shame - he has secretly been learning to dive so that when I visit him, he was going to surprise me by appearing on a dive.  I think that´s a really sweet thing to do - he knew how much fun I was having and I had planned to take him on a try dive as I said he´d enjoy it, but off he went and got his OW without telling me!!

I have come over to Tenerife now to be with him while he waits for the op and will have a chat to the doctors when  they are available with regard to the diving.  Might contact the dive doctor from Sport Diver as he seems to know his stuff too.

Will keep you posted.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Lesley
so sorry to hear about your Dad's 'problem', still look on the bright side he didnt suffer any affects on a dive that might have led to serious injury.
Hope he gets through the op. OK.
Matt

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Here's a list of medical referees from the BSAC site, I'm sure you'll find one  reasonably close to you
http://www.bsac.org/medical/medrefs.htm

Here's a link to info on aortic aneurysms, I think it will help you appreciate the considerable gravity of such a condition, definately not something to be taking advice on from a diving forum!
http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sh....sm.html

HTH
Steve

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

Sad for your father, he's done well to survive. try phoning one of the much published UK helplines, or hunt in the DAN website (or both).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Just heard it appears the operation went really well and so he should be fully recovered within a few weeks and hopefully able to dive thereafter.  Hurrah for my Daddy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts