YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
'Fabulous from afar, far from Fabulous'
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunatly (or not?) this is another of those ' We've passed our AOW' threads!.....

Mrs F and I did though, this w/e under the watchful eye of Howard Payne and what a thoroughly spiffing time we had too:teeth:

Long story short it was pretty tough mentally and physically, with alot to get through. Day 1 was at Vobster, which surprised us both as we expected a dank muddy pond and considering the filthy weather turned out to be a top decision. With Howard's great manner and training style we both learnt a heap both in terms of skills and kit config. 3 dives here with only 1 mild underwater domestic :embarassed: and us teaching Howard a few new hand signals on the last deco stop, and we headed off to Weymuff for day 2. After a cracking meal and a sleep like the dead we were once again raring to go for the 2 sea dives on Sunday.

Unfortuantly the wind still blew, so it was diving inside the harbour or nothing, so after doing the gas analysis bit, we kitted off for a bumpy rib ride across to the Countess of Silt. The dive went well considering the near zero vis. Dive 2 was nearly canned but we went anyway but Mrs F had ear probs at 6m, so fate interviened anyway - pretty painful as it still isnt clear this morning.

Anyway, we both had a blast. Howard (and Mark his DM) were superb and I would recommend them to anyone wanting training, we simply couldnt have asked for more:D :D

Howard's DIR training was also mega helpful and really made the course as opposed to the usual PADI ticking boxes style.

The downside is I now have a whole list of kit to change and buy!!

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Well done Adam and Mrs F!

Having met Howard for the first time last weekend I reckon you must have had a lot of laughing in between dives, if not during too!

If you have to buy new kit, be careful or you'll end up like Southern_Dave!!!!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
"deco stop"?? On an AOW? Surely not.....

Anyway, congrats on passing.

I do take umbrage at your "PADI ticking boxes" comment though. It is down to having a crap instructor if that is the case, not a crap course or agency. In this case you obviously had a good one (either that or Howard has a sock puppet account!) and that is what made the course work - as with all courses.

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Yeah the weather really was evil - but it didn't seem to dampen spirits too much and the ever helpful Vobster Quay & Fathom and Blues came through for us.
There's plenty to cover with the standard AOW syllabus in two days anyway and all we did was add in the things that I consider to be important for the sometimes challenging local conditions we get diving here in the UK - namely - reasonable trim; buoyancy control on ascents, enhanced buddy skills for the low viz we often face and the ability to use a DSMB with confidence.
All of these things are contained within the PADI syllabus anyway - but sometimes with larger groups of differing ability its hard to get through everything in a reasonable timeframe.
Your equipment was pretty squared away already - we only tinkered :)
Really nice to teach in small groups like this - especially when the students are good divers already and such pleasant company!
Thanks for a great weekend - see you soon for some more diving :D

·
'Fabulous from afar, far from Fabulous'
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just the 3min at 6m...

I do take umbrage at your "PADI ticking boxes" comment though. It is down to having a crap instructor if that is the case, not a crap course or agency.
Exactly Lou - please dont take umbrage, the OW training we had was down to your latter point, this wasnt a dig at the PADI way of training, just the company we used to start off last year.

Adam

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
3min at 5/6m - it was a proper domestic tho' - highly entertaining - I think even I learned a few underwater hand signalled swear words! lol

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Well done both of you, really pleased for you. Adam I'd assumed that you had far more experience than that given the competant way you acted at Swanage the other week. Why don't you both join us at Chesil on Sunday? :teeth:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Congrats on passing :teeth: Having also met Howard for the first time last weekend it was obvious that despite the pratting about on the surface he is a serious and knowledgeable instructor when in work mode, so I'm sure you got a lot more out of your AOW than many, including me!:frown:

·
‘Wind it slowly, wind it fast.....
221 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks for your kind comments, due to the 'interesting' experience I had doing OW, I was a tad bit nervous about doing AO & nitrox!!

Down to Howard & Mark's patience, calming words of confidence and a supportive husband I got through........mega chuffed I did it and can't wait for the next dive!:teeth:

I would be up for the Sunday Chesil, but a hen do on Saturday night, might (actually defintely) make me worse for wear!! Might be up for going on Monday, if anyone fancies it?!

Rachael

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
3min at 5/6m - it was a proper domestic tho' - highly entertaining - I think even I learned a few underwater hand signalled swear words! lol
LOL! Yes, C & I have had our fair share of those. C can be quite creative with sign languauge. It is def a "divng with spouses thing". So much so we even have our own sequence of signals to denote..

"%&^$ you, and your little dog too!"

..mainly used in jest these days :D

Ahhh, in my day 3 @ 5m (PADI stylee) was called a safety stop. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howards DM?? ;-)

I hadn't realised the point at which Howard became my owner...:teeth:

It was a really fun weekend, especially with Howard and I demonstrating the Panicked diver on the surface rescue and recovery to a rib....not normally part of the AOW, but an interested segway into the introduction to rescue!

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
I'm thinking of having it branded on your a*se. That really is quite a frightening photo of you mate - you look like a slightly pervy illusionist. Thanks for all your help over the weekend - great example of how a really good DM can add a lot to a course for the people taking part :)

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
It got replaced by gremlins :angel:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.