YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
do you hear boats?...I hear boats
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

After a LOT of searching I've managed to get a hold of some old Ace AP1000 canoe helmets.

People weren't joking when they said they were hard to find.

To cut a long story short I've bought a few and should be able to get my hands on some more if any of you are interested in buying one.

I'm going to say £30 + P&P costs to wherever you are in the world as they are pretty much in brand new condition (I'm not selling anything I wouldn't buy myself). Canoeists don't use them any more as they are way below the safety standard that is required. But for mounting lights on and stopping scraping your barnet, for us they are ideal.

Note I: These are the proper AP1000 ones, not the foam lined AP2000. Nice bits at the side to drill holes in for lights etc etc.

I have spoken to some stores in Australia that have some and it will cost you £60 by the time you have paid for P&P to the UK.

The company that make them, stopped, but have said that they will make some more if I get 200 people wanting to buy them (ha ha ha) so I don't think that's an option - but you never know, pass the word around and I will see how many people are seriously interested after a month. Similarly, a company in China has a copy of the moulds but they have a minimum order of 500.

I'm looking to get underground in Wales again asap and go on another cave course next year and this would help me to part finance it.*

If you are interested please PM me, we'll give it a month and see how many we get so please pass the word around. After that I will give you a shout with payment details. As mentioned I don't have many but am sure I can now get a few more, it'll just be first come first served.

Note II: These helmets are no longer recommended for impact protection and I don't think I would like to use them for anything other than hanging some lights off whilst diving. So if you're looking for something to wear whilst climbing in and out of holes then go for the Ecrin, I looked at that and it's a bit pricey but is used for actual climbing and looks a lot more substantial. It doesn't have any foam so could be used for going underwater too.

Note III: If you're thinking about diving underground then go on a course and get some training. I'm no expert (the furthest thing from) but I do know your mum is going to be pretty angry if you don't come back. So do it properly!

Cheers for now!

*You and I both know I'll just waste this on beer/cheap cider/meths and I'll just end up having to flog the kids toys on ebay...again, like last year...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Personally i use an Petzl Ecrin Roc.

It is impact rated and certified and has holes on the side to let air out and attach lights with bungee.

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes - I've pointed quite a few people towards the Ecrin for the reasons you mention, saves people having two helmets!

I've been using my AP 1000 with a GoPro HD camera attached for standard OW dives, lights mounted on the sides (tracing paper inside the lenses to act as diffusers) and it's worked quite well.

Have a few test videos here: stirlingscuba's Channel - YouTube and has worked quite well in terms of getting a record of the dive

·
Registered
79 Posts
i like the idea of the tracing paper diffusers.
a bit nervous about trying it in case i can't see anything underwater. (assuming the water is clear that is...)

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tracing paper was purely for filming as whilst doing tests the normal light output from the torches was too bright in a concentrated area, the camera tried to compensate and so you got two white spots inside a large dark spot...not great.

You get a few attachments with the GoPro, so I took one apart, attached it with a few cable ties and it works well, have been out in some fairly strong surge (see the St. Abbs videos) and it worked well.

Looking forward to trying it at a place called "The Caves" in Loch Long (no actual caves but very big overhangs) the water is very dark (black from 15m) and there's a large upturned tree and a big seal to scare the pants off you. Should be a good test before I venture back into some nice Welsh mines and caves...

·
Registered
79 Posts
that's what i found when I was cave diving with a go pro. two beams of light and hope that the interesting thing was in those beams.

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi cave_troll - have since came across a few of your videos - some nice diving :)

Thought I would post a pic of my helmet

These are shots of my helmet - it's an old canoe helmet (an AP 1000 and still seems to be preferred by most UK cave divers) - with no foam padding. You will note that the chinstrap has been modified to use an elastic loop (aids getting the helmet on and off) and that there are loops to hold the torches in place.

The two yellow torches have some tracing paper behind the glass and in front of the lens. The top two can't do this so I've just covered them with polythene. It works really well.

Note: This should NOT be used for impact protection - it's only to hang lights and cameras off.

Sorry to all the patient people who've PM'd me, took a while to get some pics onto a webspace where I could link them...

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Am liking that Letz - I can see a Barbolight sticking out the side there too (4 light one - same as mine) Barbolight have gone out of business, but one of the guys (who actually makes them) is looking at starting up again.

I like the idea of the fingerless gloves (they look like Scubpro 5mm) you wearing a pair of warm water gloves underneath?

Hopefully get to do my Intro Cave next year!!

This is actually really good to see people kit configs - anybody else want to post their pics?

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Am liking that Letz - I can see a Barbolight sticking out the side there too (4 light one - same as mine) Barbolight have gone out of business, but one of the guys (who actually makes them) is looking at starting up again.
Yes, great lights so keep us informed if they are available again :thumbsup:

I like the idea of the fingerless gloves (they look like Scubpro 5mm) you wearing a pair of warm water gloves underneath?
There I am wearing waterproof 1.5 mil neoprene gloves with the left over palm parts of my old 5 mil Scubapro neoprene gloves ( spot the Aquasure).
I have also probably got a pair of latex and garage gloves underneath :)

Hopefully get to do my Intro Cave next year!!
Let me know when you do, I may come along and carry your gloves for you ;)

·
11,983 Posts
Is this picture taken underwater? From the divers position it looks like it....But her hair looks dry, and the boot on the left side of the picture looks like its on a dry patch of rock.
It's down here

about to get in at the Tradesman's entrance, PYO
The position is because I am about to duck down, face forward, and push myself backward under a rock to get into the passage

·
11,983 Posts
Wow! What a difference !

·
business is business
110 Posts
I like your go-pro mount.. is that the one that came with the original head-straps ?

I glued one of the curved bases onto mine and then drilled through the mount and tied on with fishing line..

here's a photo without the go-pro mount (it's a canoe helmet but I don't know what sort)

..and just for vanity here is my PYO photo..

have you sold all the helmets now ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts