YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just got hold of an ATX100 (birthday pressy) and have had a problem.

Firstly, I was a bit suss at the shop as it arrived excluding a box. Whilst it looked new there were a few smudges on the first stage and the hose was not a nice clean shiney effort - in short it looks like an ex display unit.

I let the shop know but agreed to take it being a trusting soul.

Fitted it to my twinset and there was an immediate air leak from the DIN fitting. OK - changed the o-ring. Tried again but still leaked - then mysteriously stopped and operated normally.

So - phoned the shop and demanded a replacement which they are sorting (funnily APEKS seems always to be on backorder)

Question is - has anyone had any probs with the ATX100 with the DIN first stage

Needless to say if I dont get full service next time I will name the Dive shop !!

Any one from APEKS viewing this board - care to comment - who is trying to pull a fast one, APEKS or the dive shop.

Either way I am now less trusting of both

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>forward your e-mail to apeks and dive shop and lets see what responce is forthcoming and how long it takes?
apeks e-mail address is on the manual.
shop e-mail you should have.

"did you buy as used?"

my wife dives with atx 100's,loves them.
there is a second o-ring seal in the seat of the din fitting that may just need nipping or could be missing.
good regs.............................backup???
cheers
barrie

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Kirky

My ATX 40s are always a bit "tentative" but my 100 has never missed a beat, and I have never known of any probs?

James

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the feedback. I have emailed APEKS with my concerns, both from a service (is it the LDS ot the supplier, or the representation by the LDS of the supplier) point of view and the technical (why did the first stage leak then suddenly stop - with associated internal mini-`thud` that sounded like something seating) problem.

I, too own 2 sets of TX40s and they are the dogs. I avoided the ATX40 and ATX200 due to a small number of comments from others and went for the ATX100 as it had a very good all round press.

Im just pissed that after spending £300 on something that my life depends on, i now have to go thru the complaint/return/replace rigmarole.

Bang 0ns comment about the second o-ring sounds like it might be something.

I`ll keep updating

To make matters worse, I had to cancel todays dives due to a bug of some sort so now Im really brassed off.

Apologies to DaveJ for the cancellation - hope to be out next Sunday

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

It does sound like an ex display.....

The problem is nothing to do with Apeks, in fact if I were them, I wouldnt respond to you, I'd talk to the shop, so dont be suprised if you dont hear anything.

Your best bet is to take it back to the shop and get them to sort it.

Failing that, check that the DIN portion is tightened (allen key fitting in end).

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Erm, dunno about that....

If it is sold "as new" then surely it is covered by the Apeks 12 month guarantee so I'd phone up Landon at Apeks and tell him there's a parcel winging it's way to him for factory repair....

If it is not new (ex-display or school used/demo etc) I'd give Trading Standards a call but proving it's history could be interesting - shop would probably swap it to save the bother

1 - 7 of 7 Posts