YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Having been a semi-dry / membrane with cuff dump diver for many years, my new drysuit has a shoulder mounted auto-dump fitted.
Being a total numpty, in 14 years, I've never worked these out. I know if you turn them clockwise it screws them down and turn them anti-clockwise it opens them up (and press them to dump).
Is there a trick? Is it as simple as just screwing it down on the descent, and then when you're starting to come up, unscrewing it about halfway to vent the air off?
I dunno. Advice please :dunce:

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

I also moved from using a cuff dump a lot to using the auto-dump. A lot of people leave it open on descent and close it off a few turns on ascent or close it on descent and open it on ascent. I open it fully and leave it like that for the whole dive, when you are descending, air is compressing so it doesn't bubble out of the valve on the way down or result in loss of bouyancy. On the way back up, of course, the air is expanding so at this point the valve dumps the air on it's own, now and again I will assist by doing little side-rolls, thereby getting the valve to the hightest point to let air escape as and when I want.
You really have to experiment and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

That's what I've been advised to do when my new drysuit arrives - have it either closed completely at the surface, or opened fully below it. That way it spills out any excess air, but leaves enough to keep you de-squeezed.
I'm hoping the new suit will arrive in time for me to use it this weekend at Swanage Pier, otherwise it won't see open water till Horsea next month.
The joys of changing your kit, eh?

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

Dom, if you leave it closed at the surface, be careful when dropping down, when you put jags of air in to take off squeeze, if you forget to open the valve, you could find yourself popping back to the surface again!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

I leave mine wide open during the whole dive, it very cleverly allows me to take off the squeeze, but starts pumping it out as I rise, altho I still press the button when I'm getting into the shallows just in case.. I'm not totally comfortable with it being fully automatic yet.... bit of a shitty arse in that respect..

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Also watch out, that if youve a thick undersuit it doesn't obstruct the venting of the dump. Most dumps are fitted with a plastic "stand off" to avoid this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts