YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all,

Having purchased a shiny new 3l cylinder and pony clamp (sturdy little thing from Kent Components) at the show at the weekend, I'm now looking for a set of regs for my pony setup.

Does anyone have any experience with the Apeks DS1 first stage?   It looks ideal for what I want - compact and simple (one hp and one lp port).

I plan to use a TX40 second stage (lots of good reviews out there) and have the pony cylinder inverted.

thanks,
dan.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Why not just get a DS4 instead? That way you can use it for other things in the future if you want, and there'd be a much better resale value if you ever want to get shot of it. Only £8 more at Kent Diving.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tom @ Nov. 16 2003,23:04)]Why not just get a DS4 instead? That way you can use it for other things in the future if you want, and there'd be a much better resale value if you ever want to get shot of it. Only £8 more at Kent Diving.
<font color='#0000FF'>yep get the ds4 then if you go 4 twins you have got all you need already thats what i did good set of regs 300 bar compatable and seald what more can i say
wacker

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

And you only have the option (unless your hoses are going to go everywhere) of a button gauge, so you'd be able to check contents before a dive or side-sling it to see the gauge.

If you want a DS1 1st stage, I know someone who is selling one reasonably cheap for this reason. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Thanks Digger, think I'm erring on the side of the DS4 at the moment.  I'm not comfortable with the idea of not being able to see the contents gauge.

dan.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

The other thing I've heard against the DS1 is the awkward & inflexible hose routing even when you ARE just using it on a pony..

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

when i bought my pony reg i bought a good all-round reg that i could change to a left-handed setup (scubapro Mk25 R380), so i could use it on a twinset - even though twinsetting was a very distant prospect for me at the time.

however, as it turned out i managed to buy twin sevens a lot eariler than i'd expected, and i can use my pony reg straight away - so i think it pays to think ahead about potential future kit configurations.

another thing to consider (if you're buying the same make of pony reg as your main reg) is that if something goes wrong with your main first stage you could replace it (at a pinch) with your pony first stage - which you couldn't do if you bought the dedicated pony first stage.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

I'm deliberately looking at a different make for my pony to my main set of regs (Scubapro), the logic being that it should not fail under the same set of circumstances.  Is this sound logic?  It seems like a sensible plan on the face of it...  

The future?  I think that a set of twins is in the haze of the future, although a few years off yet.  I think the regs I'm getting for the pony would likely get taken forward (DIN connection) while my existing regs (A clamp) would either get used for holidays abroad or get sold.

Eek, it seemed all so simple to start with

dan.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Dan said:

Thanks Digger, think I'm erring on the side of the DS4 at the moment.  I'm not comfortable with the idea of not being able to see the contents gauge.

dan.
---------------------------
Hi Dan,

I bought a Pony from Stoney at the weekend also. Stoney didn't supply a button gauge but when I asked for a price the guy said he'd once had to use his pony in anger and had bought a single gauge hose console which ment that he was able to see the pony contents on his ascent. I found this a very good idea plus the hose gauge was only a tenner extra. The Idea that I can check my pony anytime during the dive, i.e. when I really rely upon it, gives me peice of mind that I'm not having to accent without stops, (dependent on depth) or calculate air time verses depth on the fly if I have to bail out to my pony.

My pony also came with a Dacor Eagle which has 4 LP and 1HP which I could use as a main first stage as opposed to a 1 LP + 1 HP which I think is only suitable for a bail out confuguration.

Dive safe,

Dave C

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

I agree, I think that I'd become very anxious if I had to make an ascent on the pony and was not able to monitor the contents and make an informed decision about stops and ascent rate (even with my buddy close by).

The only issue seems to be that there is another hose to get snagged on things, but I think that's easy to overcome with careful routing and clipping of the hoses.

Many thanks for all the advice everyone - tomorrow I decide what to do!

dan

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>hose no problem.
put pony on the left and hose under left arm,
and main spg under your right arm put a clip on each SPG, and then clip them together in front of you.
THEN RIGHT IS MAIN TANK LEFT IS PONY
works a treat!
wack

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

I used to use this on my independents, and it is a good system. WHy not have the pony clipped off out of sight, or even in a pocket? When you need the pony, you switch onto it, and then you can get the gauge out when you need it.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm deliberately looking at a different make for my pony to my main set of regs (Scubapro), the logic being that it should not fail under the same set of circumstances.  Is this sound logic?  It seems like a sensible plan on the face of it...
This is a school of thought I play truant from.

So long as you've got good regs on both (ie just about any regs that are cold-water certified and balanced) the thing most likely to make your reg fail is the fact that you're breathing off it.

A pony reg, of course, sits there unused until needed. Your main reg is working hard to keep you alive. Moving parts will get worn, gas expansion will cool it down, etc.

And then there's the whole "parts swapping" thing... I have a few lots of O-rings, pressure seats, filters et al from when I've had my regs serviced. Doesn't matter which reg goes wrong, I can substitute in a part from one pack. Different regs call for more spare parts.

I'd advise sticking to the same brand across the board, and think about using the same model as well.

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

i've only got a button gauge on my pony, which i agree wouldn't be ideal in an emergency, but my love of streamlining took over.

my reasoning is that if i was on my pony i'd be going up anyway, and i know it's enough for an ascent from 30m and a couple of mins stops, which is all that i really do anyway.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Well, in the end I went for the DS4/TX40.  

The same make of equipment idea appealed a lot, but I've gone for what I think will be right for the future, rather than sticking with what I got first.

As for the gauge, I'll get one on a hose and keep it tucked out of the way.  If I find it a problem, then I can always sell it and buy a button gauge, right?

Now I've decided, let's hope I never have to use the pony in anything other than practice sessions.

Thanks again,
dan.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Want to buy a gauge? I'll do you a deal. Then again, if it doesn't work out, I could part-ex for a button gauge at a later date. Check out the personals. I've got pretty much every gauge under the sun!

Shameless plug over.

Digs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts