YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a the following twinset with Apeks first stages and regs

I'm fairly happy with it except for one thing. The back up reg hose kinks

I've tried adjusting the position of the first stage and that relieves the kink slightly but not enough for me to be truly happy with it.

I think that it's a potential failure point on the rig and am a little concerned about it.

Is this typical with the Apeks configuration or is there a better way to route the hoses?

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Typical for most Hog/DIR setups. I actually tilt my 1st stages in slightly which increases the bend but I also make sure that I check the hoses regularily to see if there are any issues.

Regards

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
You can put it under the corrugated hose which helps slightly but with Fabers it is often a problem. Watch out when it starts to bulge (as it appears that your is doing).

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clare, the cylinders are Heisers. Should the hoses bulge so soon? The regs etc are under a year old and haven't seen more than 40 dives!

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
I have had my setup like it is for more than a year and haven't had an issue. During that time I have done around 100 dives. Dodgy hose?

PS Didn't know Heisers came in yellow. Thought that was the whole reason for getting Heisers and ECS, they are white :D

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Never seen yellow heisers - but then again always willing to stand corrected :)

Hoses should not bulge and when they do they require replacing. I had a series of hoses (three in total) which were poor quality and bulged - I changed my supplier and haven't had any problems since.

GLOC - Howard's are affected by this too (on the backup if I recall correctly).

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
I have a the following twinset with Apeks first stages and regs

I'm fairly happy with it except for one thing. The back up reg hose kinks

I've tried adjusting the position of the first stage and that relieves the kink slightly but not enough for me to be truly happy with it.

I think that it's a potential failure point on the rig and am a little concerned about it.

Is this typical with the Apeks configuration or is there a better way to route the hoses?
What you need Mr. Scuttler, is something like this....Portland Oceaneering

yes, there will be people who say it's an extra failure point etc etc etc, but I've never ever ever ever ever ever ever seen one go and at least it'll point your hoses in the right direction...........

I'd be more concerned about the hose breaking down internally at the 'kink'. you won't know about that until it's too late,.......

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dodgy hose?
Possibly, cheap Halcyon TAT :D

PS Didn't know Heisers came in yellow. Thought that was the whole reason for getting Heisers and ECS, they are white :D
The cylinders are 7 years old so may have been supplied in yellow at that time.....I got them cos they were heavier than Fabers :D the idea being that I wouldn't need to add much in the way of V Weights. As it works out I don't think the buoyancy characteristics are far different to Fabers!

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What you need Mr. Scuttler, is something like this....Portland Oceaneering

yes, there will be people who say it's an extra failure point etc etc etc, but I've never ever ever ever ever ever ever seen one go and at least it'll point your hoses in the right direction...........

I'd be more concerned about the hose breaking down internally at the 'kink'. you won't know about that until it's too late,.......
Looks interesting......might pop over there later and have a look :)

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never seen yellow heisers - but then again always willing to stand corrected :)
Yep definately Heisers :)

Hoses should not bulge and when they do they require replacing. I had a series of hoses (three in total) which were poor quality and bulged - I changed my supplier and haven't had any problems since.
Guess I'll look at replacing the hose then. Thanks for the advice. As for routing under the corrugated hose....sounds like it could be a plan.

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts

I've got Apeks hoses with the rubber hose protectors on them which does stop it from kinking like in your picture. I've never replaced a hose and I've been diving that configuration for almost 10 years now.

Jason

·
Registered
455 Posts
Looking at the Jpeg the hose appears to be kinking.
If that is the case then that will restrict the flow especially to a second stage.
Not good for the performance of a second stage.

·
Radioactive Diver
250 Posts
I have dived with this set up for several years. I did over 400 dives with it in one year as a dive guide, and never had any issues. My back up reg is also on a long hose, and I run it tucked behind the wing, giving a less bent exit from the reg.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
It's part of the reason I went with these :D

They do route very well indeed

Mal
i have these and they do route very well.

but if you have the money the new Apex twin 1st stages are better but you buy them in pairs.

but i will say i wouldnt swap mine :)

Graham

1 - 20 of 132 Posts