YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Anyone got one of those Apeks pony gauges that screws into the pony regulator 1st stage?

Are they any good?

Tony

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

Yeah I've got one, although I've stopped using it much. (no particular reason). They are cheap and low drag, and keep things neat and tidy. Also arguably you don't really need to know accurately how much gas is in a bailout bottle, just that it's full. I found it got scratched a lot making it hard to read on the surface. (the scratches seem to disappear under water - weird) I use a regular length spg now just so I've got a spare for changing things around etc.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Be warned! They won't stand up to 300 bar. Apeks say they will and they are graduated to 350 bar but I blew 3 (THREE!!!). However careful I was about turning on my air, they always blew, not always the first time but always within the first 3 or 4 times. The shop / Apeks replaced them free every time but that wasn't much consolation. I wanted a gauge that worked. You can get a nice little Beaver spg on a 6 inch hose from Divers Warehouse for a few pounds more. It's a much better choice, in my opinion.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Anyone had any problems with 200bar on these puupies? I was planning on using a couple for my bailouts, which are 207 steels. Sidemounted, so if I really needed to I could see them underwater. I do use 300 bar tanks, but they're on my back, and I use suunto spgs for them.

I don't like the idea of bailing out on a back-mounted pony without being able to see the gauge. Sure, you've only got what you've got, bu it's got to be reassuring to know how long you've got left. At least that way you don't have the nasty sucking when you're not ready for it...

Then again, I don't like back-mounted ponys anyway.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I agree that it would be reassuring to know how much air I had left if I needed to use my pony. I could then decide whether or not to do extra stops and a long safety stop.
I therefore carry a slate with the  following text in large letters and indelible ink:
"Pony ? bar". I show it to my buddy before each dive and tell him/her I expect him/her to look at my spg and write the reading if I have to switch to my pony and show him/her the slate and point to the question. It's not ideal, perhaps, but it's the best solution to the problem I have been able to come up with, seeing that I cannot carry my pony side-slung because it's too heavy (steel 3 L x 300 bar, weighs 3 kilos in the water) and pulls me down and forward under water.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Is it worth that for the difference a gauge makes? If you can't sidemount your pony, you could just use a normal SPG and either clip it off, or put it in a pocket. If you switch to pony, get out the gauge.

I see the failure points argument on having a gauge on a pony, I just would accept that risk for the reassurance of knowing exactly how long I'd got. It always amazes me how long a pony lasts. I got 24 minutes out of two on a comedy dive a while back!!! All these inspiration users getting smug about their twin 3s lasting ages, I got nearly half an hour on mine!

And I didn't have to pay for sofnalime, go through predive checks, any of it.

Now if I'd had 300bar ponies...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Yes, my 300 bar pony gives me 810 litres (3 x 300 x 0.9), which is actually quite a lot of air. And it's untapped and ready to use at any time and not dependent on my ability to do quick shut-downs. (Is this where the flames start?).
I did consider having my spg on an ordinary hose but decided I didn't want another hose clipped to my Transpac.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>A long time ago I bought one for a side mount but had difficulty seeing the numbers (far too small), now I use a small guage on a 6 inch hose and the price is about the same to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts