YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rich D
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been pondering if it worth spending 70 odd quid on a download kit for my quantum...... it has occured to be that at it is simply connecting the two electrical contacts on the top of the quantum....into a usb port, and the software is a free download from apeks...it would be far cheaper (me tight never) to fashion one myself from a standard usb lead, a pair of scissors and some insulating tape.........

The only slight concern I have is that USB carries a dc voltage therough it, and I don't want to fry my quantum..... so with this in mind anyone got any comments/suggestions?

·
Registered
141 Posts
When I looked about for a build your own download lead for my Quantum, I found that nobody seems to have ever done one before unlike the Suuntos.

Unfortunately you'll find there is more in there than just two contacts going to the USB plug.

I bought the kit in the end and although expensive it is very good bit of kit.

·
Rich D
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think it will - they are both seiko based -

however it still appear to be a usb lead with two of the 5 wires connected - the quesion is which 2? 1 of them is a ground - so that can be discounted, one is not used - this leaves 2 from 3 wires which need connecting in the correct order

·
Rich D
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ho hum..........I really should have tried this a few weeks ago (my waranty is just up....)

might just have to stump up for the download kit :frown:

·
Rich D
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol - not sure how it works when you get it replaced, i'm only on my second! but its a year since i bought the original.......

my first was swapped when a bought a apeks screen protector, and it cracked the case

i'm glad the regs are more reliable!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The interfaces seem like a gross rip off to me, and I won't be throwing cash at one until they drops in price. Maybe you could get the Nitek Duo interface cheaper, same computer?

Also there are details for a DIY interface avilable -
Daniel's website

I keep on meaning to take a closer look, but haven't quite got round to it, I'd like an interface for the "Toy" factor, but not enough to spend ~£70!

·
Rich D
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
now thats more like it! whats that about £30 including postage - many thanks for the link

the price they charge for them is simply outrageous, for something which is essentially something very simple.

I'd like one to be able to look at dive profiles in more detail - but not at £70 a throw

·
One of them...
233 Posts
I've tried emailing Daniel but no response, and his website claims to be out of stock. Has anyone bought one off him?

Alternatively, he publishes the design on his website. I could try and get jiggy with the soldering iron and make one myself, but I don't have any way of programming the chip. If anyone (electronical engineering student?) fancied knocking a batch up based on Daniel's design, I'd be happy to pay £30 and could probably find several others too...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts