YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Im fairly new to owning my own equipment so please forgive this question....

I have an APEKS 1st Stage, Regulator, Octopus and Gauges, (similar to that in this advert) Note this isn't my ad.

I don't particularly feel the need to replace these right now, but I did buy them 2nd hand and so:

a) I haven't serviced them 'YET'
b) The date on the 1st Stage for recommended service is April 2011.

I have tested them on a very shallow dive (4m) just to confirm they are ok and are ok.

So my question is, is it worth servicing them or given their relative age is it more worth investing in a new set?
What are the main reasons for wanting to replace, other than a failure? What should i look for?

At the moment im not even sure how much a service would cost, so just exploring the idea at the moment as to whether a simple service is all thats needed, or due to age of the item should they be upgraded?

I would really appreciate some guidance....

Cheers

·
aka j_b
862 Posts
If you don't know their history, a service is definitely recommended. They are what will be keeping you alive after all.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

·
life is for diving.. anything else is speculation
260 Posts
Agreed.. A service would be recommended as this are your life support whilst diving so you need to know you can rely on them. If it isn't broken don't fix it as the saying goes. I generally get my regs serviced reguarly but the interval depends on how much diving I've done each year. I send mine directly back to Apeks, and prices are quite reasonable.

As for replacement, it depends on how much diving your doing and cost? Kit prices have increased quite a bit over the last few years and replacing stuff is not cheap to start with! If your only doing a 20 or so dives a year is it worth it currently? One reason can be though if you plan to do most of your diving abroad, in which case investing in some lightweight travel gear can be very useful to avoid excess baggage fees!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts