YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a set for about 1 year plus now as a secondary back up reg, but it is still spanking brand new and never been used - I am going abroad soon and thinking of using it as my Primary reg - shall i get it srviced or will it be good to go?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Decide for yourself servicing costs about £40 unless theres a major fault and if there is wont you be glad you had them serviced! Supposing no major faults you have just paid for peace of mind and this years service on the Regs.

If they were my top of the range apeks regs i know id keep them well serviced but i have not had a chance to dive mine yet. I think from the fact you are asking you know you should really get them done.

Hope my 2p helps but opinions are like as*****es everyones got one.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
If its never been used then its no different to buying from a shop with a low turnover of stock - for all anyone knows a reg could have sat on that shelf for a year before they buy it.

Treat it as you would a brand new reg - if you can try it in the pool before you take it abroad, or if your first dive with that reg is on your holiday then just be that bit more careful, make the first dive shallow, don't get into any "difficult" circumstances, stay near you buddy, etc. *Any* new reg could be adjusted so that it is less than perfect, the fact that yours has been sat on a shelf for a year should make little or no difference.

David

·
Banned
402 Posts
Apeks from my experience are in general pretty tough/hard wearing regs.
Many people will use them for more than 2 years giving them some serious rough treatment, someone I know got a TX50 8 or 9 years ago and have never had it serviced. Although I don't recommend this!

At the end of the day I think your reg will be fine! If you think as you're diving, at the back of your mind you will be worrying about your reg, then get it serviced. As you are asking the question I assume there is some concern. Get it serviced for peace of mind!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts