YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
It Don't mean nothin'!
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing some of the comments on the recent unit advertised and the subsequent reposting for obvious reasons, I thought i would take the mods advise and start a thread to discuss the views of those that had their comments deleted.

So what do you see the value of your unit second hand? The prices from ADW have become a little inflated and the delivery is still a little in the unknown.

Does this add a premium? Or is it worth less than you paid for it as it is second hand?

Supply and market forces are always factors.

Although this is APOC based because of the unique position re price, are second hand units becoming cheaper as bad times bite?

Keep it clean and fun no names no pack drill!

Blast away dudes

R H

Reactions: gobfish1

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
depends if they come with all the upgrades that the users are adding to them, then they'd be a good deal. Until you get some kind of closure on whats happening with OSEL then the price of a unit is what some one pays for it. Will OSEL be around in a year, will the iCCR be out.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
With a known good working Inspo Classic at maximum £2K, how can an Apoc without electronics be worth more? If people are buying it to put their own electronics on it, they may as well buy an Inspo and buy the [email protected] head for it with Shearwater electronics, or Hammerhead.

I think a brand new Apoc without electronics is probably worth £1500, but that is worth it to me because I have a monitoring solution in the spares kit and can throw a KISS solution together for pennies so I'd have a good working unit for £1600 probably. The reason I wouldn't do it is because I'm not diving enough, and the EAC canister cost.

If Alex had done his sums and really wanted to damage the rebreather industry and manufacturers in the way he seemed to be intent on doing, he could have made a decent living out of selling the BOV, basic loop of counterlungs, case and hoses, canister etc separately - providing homebuilders with a supply from which they could make their own unit. All you need after that is a cert for homebuilders and the nut is cracked.

Digs.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
1.5 to 2K max for the 02 only unit. As has been discussed elswhewre by the time you put all the bits on to make it a proper CCR you will end up spending £5000

IE Shearwater intigrated computer and display, 02 pod + cells, some form of secondary display and a KISS or needle valve.

You can by a Vision for about this money, so why bother with the Apoc and some dodgy home asembly?

And then theres the problem with the EACs which hardly any one wants for their unit. SO you will end up spending again on a EAC to loose fill conversion kit.

All in all it sounds like a bargin but its prety much the same price as all the rest.

IF you were willing to opt for a display only unit and 02 Pod then i reckon you could build it for £3000 which would make me look twice at it.

ATB

Mark

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Dont know what a 2nd hand unit would / should cost ,, but if i was mr ward id open one of my many sockpuppets,
and take that apox for 2k ,,, then do a big write up , on how good the unit is,

i know ward like free Advertising ,, but it could be 2k well spent ,,,:D

ps
i would love to see it on ebay ,, :teeth:

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
IE Shearwater intigrated computer and display, 02 pod + cells, some form of secondary display and a KISS or needle valve.
IF you were willing to opt for a display only unit and 02 Pod then i reckon you could build it for £3000 which would make me look twice at it.
Mark
Mark,
The O2 unit comes without any electronics but it does come with the Leaky + O2 add valve.

Other than that everything else is as you state.
In an ideal world EAC's would be the same cost and same availability as sorb, then EAC vs Sorb would be a no brainer....
Simon A

·
It Don't mean nothin'!
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont know what a 2nd hand unit would / should cost ,, but if i was mr ward id open one of my many sockpuppets,
and take that apox for 2k ,,, then do a big write up , on how good the unit is,

i know ward like free Advertising ,, but it could be 2k well spent ,,,:D

ps
i would love to see it on ebay ,, :teeth:
Gobbers,

You cynical old dog!:teeth:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Not worth much, out of the box a unit that can be dived to 6m. Whoopy-doo.

If you've got to start adding a Shearwater and a bunch of home-build modifications then you're better off buying something that actually works - like a JJ, rEvo or Inspo.

Probably worth a grand to a home-builder to tinker with.

Matt.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay. A rebreather that costs a fortune to run and is limited to 6m is worth fook all to me, I can build something that does that well enough for under £200 (and have done a few times) and doesn't depend on the world's most expensive bog rolls to run. I suppose you're buying a piece of history, a bit like one of Tommy Cooper's props. Anyway, I wouldn't have paid the original £600.

I've sold empty lime kegs on Ebay and some daft fooker bought them. There's a customer for everything if you wait long enough. I can't fault Simon for flogging it at that price, nothing wrong with trying and it did make me chuckle. A bit of mutual admiration, Yorkshiremen really are as tight as the Scots :D

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
It has the manual add and trickle feed, so all you need is a display for ppO2. Any double gauge would be sufficient for the job, triple if you want a bit of extra redundancy and help if you get a cell error. Basically means you can build a unit that is very similar to the KISS for a little bit less money than a secondhand KISS. That you can't get certified on. Or get spares for when Apoc goes under.

Digs.

·
13,407 Posts
It has the manual add and trickle feed, so all you need is a display for ppO2. Any double gauge would be sufficient for the job, triple if you want a bit of extra redundancy and help if you get a cell error. Basically means you can build a unit that is very similar to the KISS for a little bit less money than a secondhand KISS. That you can't get certified on. Or get spares for when Apoc goes under.

Digs.
EAC's is the breaker for me. 22 quid a throw and they can't even agree how long the bog rolls last. You can buy a KISS for 2k ready to dive on granular sorb. If I was going back to homebuilding then I can get an IDA71 for 750 quid, that leaves me 1250 quid for O2 monitoring. For that kind of money I could buy a manky Bulgarian hooker and teach her English to whisper the ppO2 to me whilst pleasuring me and still have change left for a few pints.

I didn't get the Apoc from the start, I still don't get it.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
EAC's is the breaker for me. 22 quid a throw and they can't even agree how long the bog rolls last. You can buy a KISS for 2k ready to dive on granular sorb. If I was going back to homebuilding then I can get an IDA71 for 750 quid, that leaves me 1250 quid for O2 monitoring. For that kind of money I could buy a manky Bulgarian hooker and teach her English to whisper the ppO2 to me whilst pleasuring me and still have change left for a few pints.

I didn't get the Apoc from the start, I still don't get it.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

·
15,343 Posts
Not worth much, out of the box a unit that can be dived to 6m. Whoopy-doo.

If you've got to start adding a Shearwater and a bunch of home-build modifications then you're better off buying something that actually works - like a JJ, rEvo or Inspo.

Probably worth a grand to a home-builder to tinker with.

Matt.

JJ and rEvo are about £6-7000 Not sure about a Vision thease days?

If i were getting into CCR diving today I couldent afford any of them.

ATB

Mark

·
15,343 Posts
I think a fully loaded Vision is about £5800.

Matt.

Sounds like a bargin compared to a JJ but I still coudlent afford one.

QED a brand new Apoc with £1000 worth of add ons seems like a good deal

I wouldn't buy one myself mind, i'd get a S/H KISS

I remember Stuart saying he sold his KISS before the bottom fell out of te KISS market. I reckon he made a mistake. A fulley working KISS for £3500 is begining to sound like a good deal to me in the current market.

ATB

Mark

·
13,407 Posts
I'd never buy a new rebreather in the same way I'd never buy a new car. Let some other mug pay the depreciation and get used by the manufacturer as a crash test dummy. The Apoc must be the only rebreather in history that appears to have appreciated in value on the second hand market.

I agree with Mark for once. There's no way I could get into rebreather diving now, prices have gone daft. I am glad I bought my units when I did.

·
You think I know nothing....and I do!!
562 Posts
So this is all excellent news then!!

....not only has my 'vapourware' turned into an excellent little unit and,

........not only have those thieving robbing swine at 'the unit that shall remain nameless's' HQ been very helpfull and fair, and done me proud to date.....and,

...not only can I put a second hand basic monitoring package together for pennies, but I can also have the choice of fitting the best monitoring package money can buy to suit myself or my pocket....and,

.....its also turning into a hell of an investment.... (that is of course assuming Black Bess is still game for a trot and my pistols and mask can be found!!!)...you mean, like, I can make money???....and

....And to think, I havnt even recieved 50% of it yet!!!.....

(6-7k for a JJ or rEvo????(wot is that all about??).....I guess as long as sucke...sorry, people, will pay these prices then I guess you can really put whatever price you want on a used Apoc.

Pie anyone???

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
So this is all excellent news then!!

....not only has my 'vapourware' turned into an excellent little unit and,

........not only have those thieving robbing swine at 'the unit that shall remain nameless's' HQ been very helpfull and fair, and done me proud to date.....and,

...not only can I put a second hand basic monitoring package together for pennies, but I can also have the choice of fitting the best monitoring package money can buy to suit myself or my pocket....and,

.....its also turning into a hell of an investment.... (that is of course assuming Black Bess is still game for a trot and my pistols and mask can be found!!!)...you mean, like, I can make money???....and

....And to think, I havnt even recieved 50% of it yet!!!.....

(6-7k for a JJ or rEvo????(wot is that all about??).....I guess as long as sucke...sorry, people, will pay these prices then I guess you can really put whatever price you want on a used Apoc.

Pie anyone???
so you going to give simon 2k ,, or what ,,lol ,,

1 - 20 of 35 Posts