YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did those who received O2 CCRs have deck protectors, or are those an optional item?

They appear in Figure 7-4 of the manual, with the caption "Stainless steel bottom plate (pink) and deck protectors, where fitted."

The "where fitted" indicates that they may be optional, but I found no such item on the OSEL site.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Did those who received O2 CCRs have deck protectors, or are those an optional item?

They appear in Figure 7-4 of the manual, with the caption "Stainless steel bottom plate (pink) and deck protectors, where fitted."

The "where fitted" indicates that they may be optional, but I found no such item on the OSEL site.
There are not even optional just now, unfortunately.

They are not fitted as standard simply because when we ran user focus groups with them fitted in cold climates divers wanted soft black rubber and to stick them on, and in hot climates they wanted white hard rubber and to screw them on.

One of our commercial partners commented that in their experience most adhesives seem to run/come off in tropical marine environments.

We believe a certain rebreather add-on company is likely to offer them in due course, in which case they will be added to the OSEL shop. I am not sure if they are both types (adhesive or screw on) yet.

Back to the factory ....

Alex

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
One of our commercial partners commented that in their experience most adhesives seem to run/come off in tropical marine environments.

Alex
There speaks a man that has never used Sikaflex 221 or Tigerseal. One of the guys spilled some on his garage floor and had to use an angle grinder to get it off. They use it to attach bodykits and spoilers to cars, subject to massive forces. You will not break it, you will not get it off. It's like the stickiest stuff on earth, and once stuck there's quite a few tales of guys bending structural bodywork trying to remove kits that have been attached with it. After 10 years. It will not come off. Ever. Don't get it on your hands.

Digs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There speaks a man that has never used Sikaflex 221 or Tigerseal. One of the guys spilled some on his garage floor and had to use an angle grinder to get it off. They use it to attach bodykits and spoilers to cars, subject to massive forces. You will not break it, you will not get it off. It's like the stickiest stuff on earth, and once stuck there's quite a few tales of guys bending structural bodywork trying to remove kits that have been attached with it. After 10 years. It will not come off. Ever. Don't get it on your hands.

Digs.

Couple of thick rubber or silicone pads cut to shape and glued on with the Tiger Seal or equivalent would do the trick. I am thinking engine baffle material (from aviation), but that may be overkill.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Go on then - modify it and invalidate all the hard work on the FMEA and certification. Sheesh, some folk have no gratitude or appreciation ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go on then - modify it and invalidate all the hard work on the FMEA and certification. Sheesh, some folk have no gratitude or appreciation ;)
Oh please! Pimping your RB is certainly not modding it. Just wait until I get the blinking LED border around the wing going.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts