YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Team Tricky: Diving with Twins
3,004 Posts
Nick, if you decide to go for a BioSeal, let me know and you can buy mine off me. Never used it so can't comment on the whole "latex eating" thing,, but yours for a reasonable price ;)

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Nick - Gareth and I were wearing them on our last YD scapa gig.

They are excellent pieces of kit - they will take up the slack of your loose neck seal and also save your neck from salt rash on the longer trips.. I just store mind in fresh water in between dives - in the water proot case - thus washing the salt off and keeping it off your neck. I also rinse the neck seal too.

If would think using one for an extended length of time will break the neck seal down..

AFAIK the only place to get them is from apollo sports..

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Cheers Mark, yeah I do remember you & Gareth using them last year. So, I'm assuming your latex neck seals are still OK then?
I've also seen them on eBay, but it looks like my mate Tricky will be able to let me have his ;)
I wasn't quite as fastiduos as Wilbo cleaning the neck seal and as such 6 weeks after we got back from Scapa I split my neck seal at Vobster :( However, for the price of a saved neck, I think £25 to replace it was fine. However, if you are going to dive with it constantly I think to follow Wilbo's lead would be sound advice.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I wasn't quite as fastiduos as Wilbo cleaning the neck seal and as such 6 weeks after we got back from Scapa I split my neck seal at Vobster :( However, for the price of a saved neck, I think £25 to replace it was fine. However, if you are going to dive with it constantly I think to follow Wilbo's lead would be sound advice.
:zip:

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
The missus and I used Bio-seals for a while, and they did indeed destroy latex seals - they went 'friable' and could be picked apart with the fingers.

The solution for us was to fit a neoprene neck seal. Much better.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I like my bacon & eggs 'friable', not sure about my neck seals :D

Can I ask if you gave the latex neck seals much TLC or did you just leave them to fend for themselves?
I am still using the same seal that I used up in Scapa. I think using the Bioseal week in week out, not keeping the bio seal moist (in fresh water) and washing the neck seal will see your neck seal 'rot' much quicker.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
The missus and I used Bio-seals for a while, and they did indeed destroy latex seals - they went 'friable' and could be picked apart with the fingers.
same experience here - destroyed mine in less than a year. I did wash my neckseal regularly. I'd avoid them.

·
Team Tricky: Diving with Twins
3,004 Posts
Tricky, how are you going to get that bio-seal to me?
Well, seeing as hand-delivery hasn't exactly been successful for other items perhaps posting it would be a good idea. Remind me what your address is and I'll see if I can abuse the internal mail here to get it to you at no cost to myself.

I might have found those on my desk at work. I don't remember buying any yet here they are :D
I bought 2 packs, one for me and one for Nick. Could be that you have my pack, although that would still mean that I have one pack at home somewhere.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Hello Nick

We did look after our seals in the normal way - washed after a trip, and seals washed and then stored in the pots they come in. We didn't wash them after every dive or anything like that.

But I couldn't live with the 'will it go on this dive or not' uncertainty in the end, hence opting for neoprene seals as the final solution.

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
I used to use one to avoid the "cut-throat" problem. It did def. accelerate the wear on the latex of the neck seal and, although effective, they're a bit of a faff. Discovered that the "cuthroat" is due to a reaction between your neck, dried salt crystals on your neck and the latex itself. Just wipe your neck and the inside of the latex seal with a cloth soaked in freshwater between dives and the problem vanishes :)

Reactions: 1693

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I used to use one to avoid the "cut-throat" problem. It did def. accelerate the wear on the latex of the neck seal and, although effective, they're a bit of a faff. Discovered that the "cuthroat" is due to a reaction between your neck, dried salt crystals on your neck and the latex itself. Just wipe your neck and the inside of the latex seal with a cloth soaked in freshwater between dives and the problem vanishes :)
Or have luvly jubbly warm neo seals :)

A guy who was diving with me at the w/e had a nice latex neck seal at the end of dive one. He went for a wee (had to take the suit off girly fashion). seal ripped so he missed dive 2, and the following day was in a wetsuit :eek:

Personally, i would have neo seals any day. They are warmer , no hickey rash, last a lot longer and will repair with a bit of blackwitch :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts