YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody get up bright and early to buy themselves a shiney Ipad? It's not of the tea, but plenty did get out of bed early.

the following pic was posted on The Register of people queuing up on Regent St:

The following was a comment posted by a reader, made me chuckle:

"That second photo is a tipping point waiting to happen and a PR disaster if it gets on the news tonight - those are real fanbois in the flesh, not PR ringers. I'd like to see Flat-Cap Jack (foreground, right of centre) whirling around in silhouette. Cool!

I'm sorry, but looking at that pic, I'm thinking the iPad's killer feature must be its wipe-clean screen."

·
Out of his depth
386 Posts
Yes, despite being a mac user with two mac computers and an iphone, I can't really see the point of the iPad. It's got the wrong type of screen to be an effective e-reader, and it runs a modified iPhone OS. How long before they rename the iPhone the iPad Nano?

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
It still can't run third party applications, and it still can't multitask.

Call me back when the above changes.

·
Out of his depth
386 Posts
Most of the Apps in the App store are 3rd party - it's just that they have to go through an approvals process to maintain a level of quality.

And OS 4.0 for iPhones is being released in the summer, before the iPad gets hold of it!

·
No longer a diver :o(
698 Posts
We've been discussing this at work today - and I can't really see why you'd want one of these.
What does it do that a £250 net book doesn't do? (apart from run Apps.......)

·
Out of his depth
386 Posts

·
Devout Sceptic
4,726 Posts
Here's something fun to do with an iPad:

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
We've been discussing this at work today - and I can't really see why you'd want one of these.
What does it do that a £250 net book doesn't do? (apart from run Apps.......)
Get a bunch of geeks to cough up too much money on day 1 on a promise of it doing more in the future, of course. Well, that's what it does if you happen to be on the board of Apple. Chuff knows what it actually is supposed to do for the consumer. Too big to carry without a bag, too small to do real work on. What you really want is an iphone and a laptop.... :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've had one for about a month now. Got a couple shipped over from the States - one to stick on eBay and make a few bucks, cos they were making silly money, and the other to try out and see if I liked it. Reasoning being was that I'd heard the wifi performance wasn't great and the physical heft of the thing was being seen as a downside. Also I already had the usual raft, ie iTouch, MacBookPro and was sceptical whether it would be worth the bother. If I didn't like it, I'd bung it on eBay as well and wait for version 2. As it turns out, I've held onto it. Why? Cos it's lovely to use.
No issues with the wifi, the user interface is very slick and fast, there are sackloads of decent apps for it already, some of them brilliant, others less so.
It's NOT a productivity device. There are officey apps, and the onscreen keyboard is surprisingly usable, but it's not really what it's for. I think of it as a web-consumption device. I spend a lot of time browsing the web, checking out a whole raft of tech, Formula 1 and diving site & blogs. Traditionally I've always used my wee iPod Touch for this, but it's slow and the battery life takes a pasting. I could break out a laptop to do the same, but I have to wait for it to boot, it's a bit of a lump and again run up against battery life a lot of the time.
On the iPad, I can do all my web browsing, use TVCatchup or iPlayer to check out a bit of telly, see what my mates are up to on Facebook, watch a few videos, all that sort of thing - and that's what it excels at. Instant-on (as in, press the On-button and you're on the web in three seconds flat), the battery life is superb - literally 10hrs, whatever I'm doing on it and the web browser is very fast and responsive. The weight is less of an issue than what I thought it might be - it is way lighter than the laptop, so much more portable. It's also great at night - if I can't sleep, I can plug in a pair of headphones and stream any video from my HTPC without bothering the missus.
Don't get me wrong though - it could never replace a laptop or desktop PC (typing this on the MBP) or a decent MP3 player (can't go running with it, let's face it) but it supplements them very well.
The lack of Flash both isn't and is a pain in the head. A lot of the time I have no need for it in any way, but there are times, such as when checking out the BBC news site, that it's irritating not being able to view the video links. More of a pain, as I recently discovered when I signed up to LoveFilm, is that I can't stream films from there as it's all in Flash. I can see the arguments for and against Flash, but on this I agree with what an American colleague recently said to me - shame Steve Jobs is such a douchebag.
That said, pretty much everybody who's had a play with it has been agog at the user experience, more than a few of those (including one or two who were previously adamant that they would NEVER buy an Apple product) have ordered one too. My point basically is - give one a try and see what your opinion is afterwards. There is every chance that you may still consider it irrelevant, but a lot of people have been very surprised.

On a final note - there is an incredible amount of bile posted on the web about people buying these things because they're 'iDiots', 'suckers', 'Steve Jobs fanbois (I [email protected] hate that word, the first resort of the sort of cretin that can't put together a coherent argument), all that sort of nonsense. I ain't one of them. I work in a Windows environment, have an MCSE, all my home PCs are Windows boxes (primarily overclocked, water-cooled and built by yours truly) and am even running this lappy on Windows 7, cos I think it's great. Apple lapdog I therefore ain't. But I do appreciate well-built, well thought-out, well-implemented tech - and the iPad ticks 90% of those boxes. Were it not for douchebag Jobs and bloody Flash, it'd be near perfect (for me).

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I've seriously been thinking about getting one since the details came out when it was released in the US, but haven't quite got as far as buying one yet!

Main reason was that I want a new computer, and the vast majority of the time on my laptop is spent either using email, internet, watching videos, and some photo editing. Fundamentally, the only thing I couldn't do on the iPad would be photo editing (to any meaningful degree) - but I thought I'd get a mini-desktop / media centre to sit under the TV and use that for the occasional photo editing. So on that basis, I was all ready to get one, and have a nice small device, much more usable resolution than my old 10" netbook, that I could take on holiday / travels but also use while at home, sat on the sofa or whatever.

Sadly, reading more reveals it can't quite do what I need just yet. I often watch BBC iPlayer and 4OD, so would want to be able to do both of those before I'd consider it. I'd also ideally be able to play media files I already have which are saved in DivX/avi format, which it can't do - and would be a big faff to convert them all. So nothing major stopping me, and I still like the idea of it, but not quite managed to convince myself I wouldn't have to fall back to a laptop so often as to mean I wouldn't use it as my main "computer" - which is what I'd want it to be.

Maybe iPad 2 ;)

David

·
Diving happy
2,254 Posts
I have also have one for about a month (brought back from the US) and agree with a lot of what Robski said. Will not replace my Laptops (Mac and Windows) or my iPhone, but I do like it and use it regularly when travelling or in the house.

I used to get a lot of pointed comments from my partner when using a laptop, while watching TV on the sofa together, but not since having got the iPad. The immediate on/boot and size make it less intrusive; we both use it for that quick reference web browse.

I have also got a number of prototype/pilot magazines for it and they are quite simply stunning. I would have no issue subscribing (paid for) to such publications - and I also really like my Kindle for travel, but that can't do the magazines like the iPad.

However, I do miss big time the flash support for web browsing (evil Apple wanting to restrict all forms of DRM on the machine, except iTunes - boo boo).

Personally, given this and the better open USB and external device support of the Android pads, I would wait just a few months to see what they are like if you want to start using it with a camera etc. when on holiday.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts