YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else bought one of these?

Got mine off fleabay for £99 and it *looks* decent, not had chance to get it wet yet though so maybe I'll learn more then. Seems to have all I want, integrated weight pockets including 2 rear ones, 3 dump valves, integrated alarm horn thingy stacks of D-rings and clips and even 2 clip on hose clips.

The review in April 2007 Diver mag was "brief" but pretty good Clicky Linky Thingy

So has anyone else got/used one or got any opinions good or bad?

Arfie

·
Strokier than a petting zoo
899 Posts
A buddy of mine uses the Northern Diver Atlas which I believe is the same or very similar. He's been using his for about 2 years now and no complaints

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers chaps.

I didn't know it was the same as Northern Diver which it seems it is, at least I've been able to download the manual, which was not in the box with mine.

Arfie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi

I use the ND atlas - think that it's probably from the same factory / production line
I like mine - nice big pockets. But I find that the toggles on the dumps are too small and am going to replace them with biger ones

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I had/have the ND version too - very good jacket all in all and if you got it for £99 then that's a bargain really

one thing to be mindful of, make sure that the integrated air 3 jobbie gets a proper rinsing after every dive, they don't like sand being caught in them (mine was used on my rescue diver and it didn;t really like rough treatment...oops...)

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Got mine for $250, (also 100quid) off ebay and I was/am pretty happy with it, except for 2 small points:

1. The integrated weight pockets on mine were hopeless, the velcro kept letting go so they fell out and it was only the quick release buckle than held it all on, with the weight pocket hanging by a whisker

2. Also, the air horn kept freeflowing, so I had to replace the power inflator but that was only $50, (20 quid), so I was still well ahead

It's still a great BC if you use a weightbelt and I thought it very good value for money.

Also very very lightweight, about half that of my Apollo Biolift, so good for travelling.

The cheapo Aquatec badged version is fine for the price on Ebay, but I wouldn't be paying what ND are asking for it. What is it about ND? Do they keep their factory warm by burning $50 notes? Everything they sell seems to be top dollar, yet the quality, from what I've seen, is nothing special. They have a branch in Melbourne and they are bloody hopeless - reckoned they'd charge me $AU160 to replace a latex neck seal and wanted a month in which to do it (postage is 1, maybe 2 days each way). That's 64quid in British money, whereas the bloke at Protec (Ian?) said they'd charge 18 quid - if I was still in the UK.

(Sorry, didn't mean to start a rant.)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Customer Service.

Well I lost one of my weight pockets and nobody has handed it in. I contacted the eBay seller to see if they could get a replacement and they couldn't.

This weekend I found the main website for Aquatec and emailed them directly to see if they could tell me of a UK based supplier, or could they sell directly to me.

Just had a reply, they are sending one free of charge. bearing in mind they are in Thailand I thought that was quite good customer service.

I now use a harness, but it will be handy to have the pockets for extra lead for if I ever get in the salty stuff.

If anyone else is after them the main website is HERE

Arfie

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a dive in Stoney, I knew I was a bit bouyant at the end but didn't realise it was missing until kitting up for a second dive :embarassed:

I'll modify the clips to stop them opening as easily, I have more than enough ditchable weight in the harness.

Arfie

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
On a dive in Stoney, I knew I was a bit bouyant at the end but didn't realise it was missing until kitting up for a second dive :embarassed:

I'll modify the clips to stop them opening as easily, I have more than enough ditchable weight in the harness.

Arfie
Hmmm.....hate to say I told you so, but....

..............must resist the temptation.......

Main problem I found was the velcro letting go although that may be fixable with the use of tightly fitting folded strips of roofing lead, so that the weights don't shift inside the pocket.

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
Fell out on dive, it's the only reason we keep going to Stoney to try search and recovery!

Good result on the freebie though.

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
It's got those orange clip things, I'm always helping fasten them prior to the dive.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, there's no velcro on mine Richard though I did have tightly fitting roof lead in them.

As Endoman says it has those orange clips, but they are shite once you have a few KG in there and after they've been opened a few times, they aren't strong enough to hold them in. Maybe a bit of velcro in addition would be an improvement.

Arfie

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:teeth: New weight pockets arrived today :teeth: note - pocket(S), they sent me four! And 4 new sets of the orange clips to secure them. Not bad for free.

Thanks to Aquatec :sun: , that is top notch customer service :thumbsup:

Arfie

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The BCD has a wierd plastic backplate assembly with bits of plastic attached to each other (hard to explain) and they have given way.

I could probably have cobbled a repair together using some webbing, but I tried emailing them about it with photo's and on Monday I recieved an entire new backplate assembly which has a slight modification which has eliminated the weakspot that caused the old one to break.

Oh yeah, free of charge again :teeth:

In an ideal world, things wouldn't go wrong, but the measure of a company is how they treat customers when things do go wrong and I can't fault them.

Arfie

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes there are thanks, however I can't guarantee there will be on your harness now I've found my shears you cnut!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts