YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Still young enough to know everything
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this might seem a it obscure, but, as usual, I'm interested to know the answer. In R.S. lessons, we have to learn quotes and teachings for different religions about various topics. One that I came across was a Muslim quote from the Qur'an, saying something along the lines of "Your body isn't yours - you are only its steward for Allah. Therefore, you must not knowingly do anything to it that will damage it".

Unless I am very much mistaken, any PPO2 above around 0.6 bar, or even less, causes oxygen toxicity, and if you get to above 1 bar PPO2, then it is CNS toxicity which, again, unless I am mistaken, kills brain cells or does something bad to your head, in a similar way that alcohol does. Also, in commercial diving, extremely long exposures to high ambient pressures has been seen to cause bone necrosis or something.

So, should devout Muslims not dive, or am I missing something?

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Ok, this might seem a it obscure, but, as usual, I'm interested to know the answer. In R.S. lessons, we have to learn quotes and teachings for different religions about various topics. One that I came across was a Muslim quote from the Qur'an, saying something along the lines of "Your body isn't yours - you are only its steward for Allah. Therefore, you must not knowingly do anything to it that will damage it".

Unless I am very much mistaken, any PPO2 above around 0.6 bar, or even less, causes oxygen toxicity, and if you get to above 1 bar PPO2, then it is CNS toxicity which, again, unless I am mistaken, kills brain cells or does something bad to your head, in a similar way that alcohol does. Also, in commercial diving, extremely long exposures to high ambient pressures has been seen to cause bone necrosis or something.

RS (relidious Studies? It was RE in my day - Religious education)

anyway - next time you go to class , just say ask your teacher to prove that 'a' god exists and that it's not all just a very old story book that someone made up. I dare you, in fact, i double dare you ;)

1000 years ago, the Greeks worshipped Neptune, and oh how we smile. 1000 years from now, our ancestors will be laughing at us and all or 'beliefs'!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
look im a sometimes pastafarian and even such an out there and modern religion has no thological opinion on scuba diving.

ncie try but tbh it just smacks of ignorance of islam and what the chrisitan west loves to do which is pin point single quotations which can be misinterpreted ignoring the greater docterine which has a great repect and love for allahs creations which should be wondered in.

im pretty sure i could find quotes from the chrisitan bible which support a great many social taboos, laws and other basis for our society. when taken in isolation

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
RS (relidious Studies? It was RE in my day - Religious education)

anyway - next time you go to class , just say ask your teacher to prove that 'a' god exists and that it's not all just a very old story book that someone made up. I dare you, in fact, i double dare you ;)
i did in a catholic school got alot of grief for it. amazing how the bleifs of people under thsw age of 18 are steamrollered in schools

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts

James, everyone else will no doubt have a pop at you, but I won't be one of them. In shariah, the human body is given as a trust and always, as you rightly say, belongs to Allah. This is why tattoos are forbidden, and indeed suicide. However, there are some contemporary issues which leave Muslim clerics second guessing each other. For example, some of them teach that organ transplant is acceptable under certain circumstances, whilst some of them teach it is forbidden. It all depends on how extreme one interprets the ancient teachings.

However, taking it to the extreme of saying you couldn't dive would be a little daft. that would be like saying you can't eat because it fundamentally (sorry) changes the proportion of fat and water in your body.You have to draw a line somewhere and , thank goodness, most muslims, like most people of most religions, draw the line somewhere sensible. It's the ones from all religions who draw the line somewhere batty we have to watch out for.

·
Registered
252 Posts
. 1000 years from now, our ancestors will be laughing at us and all or 'beliefs'!
Guess that makes me 1000 years ahead in this case (first for everything).

With enough faith (and the associated disregard for science and common sense): I'm sure you will be looked after in a better place with a po2 of 3+.

I do like the OP.... looking for a consistant approach to the application of texts.... good luck on that one young Mr Dawkins.

·
Partly Worn
2,799 Posts
James this is the bonest question you've asked so far! Are you deliberately trying to move from "annoyingly inquisitive newbie" to "oxygen thief"? Why aren't you out with your mates annoying some town centre with your antics on a Saturday night?

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.