YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since so many people (divers) seem to want to have influence on what others do - along the lines of "You cannot do that unless you have done a course" - do you not think that people should not be allowed to use a camera underwater until they are suitably qualified to do so? It would spare us the grief of having to look with forced admiration at so many pictures of blue and unsharp fishes disappearing out of the frame!

Before you all get wound up - this is a lighthearted look at the world of diving where in the parallel universe that we call the real world, people get things (violins, sound systems, cars, kitchens, wives, children, pets) that they are not suitably qualified for nor do they embark on any courses first. ...and don't tell me diving is more dangerous than getting married!

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
A quote that I've heard, and I can't remember who by :embarassed:, is that you should not even think about taking a camera underwater unless you could to the dive with both hands tied behind your back. :)

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
I know your comment is meant light hearted John but It does dismay me the number of trainee ocean divers who want to take a camera with them as soon as they are qualified and have little bouyancy control. The solution to this is to tell you that you will take some pics for them but plead with them not to get a camera this month!

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
A quote that I've heard, and I can't remember who by :embarassed:, is that you should not even think about taking a camera underwater unless you could to the dive with both hands tied behind your back. :)
That's a very good premise and it also shouldn't include kneeling on the bottom either to take the pictures :embarassed:

·
www.finingaround.co.uk
1,826 Posts
I like the idea of that but how you gona fly a rebreather whilst using a scooter and shooting still's?I think you need to have confidence and competence in the kit your diving with before you take a camera in but I do think your goign to have senareo similar to driving and using a mobile. perhaps every one should shoot raw video off a helment mounted camera and take stills off that when back on tera firma.Fin

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
I like the idea of that but how you gona fly a rebreather whilst using a scooter and shooting still's?I think you need to have confidence and competence in the kit your diving with before you take a camera in but I do think your goign to have senareo similar to driving and using a mobile. perhaps every one should shoot raw video off a helment mounted camera and take stills off that when back on tera firma.Fin
Mmm, 4000x3000px versus at best 1080 x ?px on HD. You're not going to get very good piccies that way Fin :D

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
Well the quote was from a well-known photographer, however I believe he has a point. He was getting at the fact that the diving part of it should be automatic.

To use your analogy you or I probably could drive, change gear and all that stuff while on the 'phone, lighting a *** (not that I smoke anymore) and drinking coffee (don't try this at home kids) but I know that when I learnt to drive, changing gear while keeping the bloody car on the left hand side of the road was a struggle :)

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
I know your comment is meant light hearted John but It does dismay me the number of trainee ocean divers who want to take a camera with them as soon as they are qualified and have little bouyancy control. The solution to this is to tell you that you will take some pics for them but plead with them not to get a camera this month!
Absolutely - I've seen people on open water courses with cameras hanging off their wrists :eek:

·
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was intending to be lighthearted but I do remember protesting about a group of divers who could hardly dive yet were taking cameras in with them. I later gave one of them resuscitation for the best part of an hour without a good outcome. Digital cameras with always another picture to take can lead people to risk their lives.
CDNN :: The Death of David Graves on a Bahamas Shark Feeding Dive

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I was intending to be lighthearted but I do remember protesting about a group of divers who could hardly dive yet were taking cameras in with them. I later gave one of them resuscitation for the best part of an hour without a good outcome. Digital cameras with always another picture to take can lead people to risk their lives.
CDNN :: The Death of David Graves on a Bahamas Shark Feeding Dive
Firstly, I am sorry that you had to be involved in such an incident - it must have been very distressing.

However, I am finding it difficult to make the leap from your posting, to the report you have linked us to, as to why, specifically, it was down to him taking a camera.

There is no mention that he was inexperienced, the group were advised that they should be experienced. The reporter also doesn't say what happened. As liekly as not, no-one knows for sure.

Also, there was no buddy system in place. If there had, it is possible the outcome would have been different.

The camera is an inanimate object. It cannot be blamed for causing an incident such as this. It is the diver who pays no attention to the things they should be paying attention to that causes the problem.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have always vowed that I'll never take photos underwater until my buoyancy control and other essential skills are finely enough honed that they are unconscious, like others have said, like changing gear in a car.

I did have the "pleasure" of diving with a buddy when in Sharm who had less dives than me and insisted on taking his camera. Did an air check during the dive and he was on about 130bar, he then let his air drop to 70 bar before checking it again, he had a bit of a flap but calmed him down and we ended the dive uneventfully :)

Just reinforced my previous view really!

·
Mark Milburn
4,077 Posts
I agree with you in principal BJ. I look back at my early photos and think 'what a load of crap', to me at the time I though they were great. Now I'm a bit fussier and delete anything out of focus/shot etc.

I no longer do any (apart from unsharp mask) post processing, whereas originally I spent ages on each photo trying to improve them, that was a waste of time.

Most agencies do an UW photography speciality, I do think the emphasis should be on diving skills rather than camera skills, they can be learnt by using a camera.

As to posting pics and saying aren't they wonderful, sometimes the subject can be interesting even if they pics aren't great.

·
Registered
678 Posts
John, part of the photography course could include having to recite all models of Nikon SLR cameras manufactured since the Nikon F with photomic head. Only sad individuals like myself would know such piffle. For instance, did you know that the nikon EM and FG20 weren't actually true nikons. Also, the F301 wasn't either. Also, another good course content test would be to have to develop and print whilst underwater at a depth of 22m a 36 exposure roll of TMAX 3200 on to Ilford multigrade paper at 8 x 10 using a Durst enlarger. Just imagine the size of the housing! :)

·
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Firstly, I am sorry that you had to be involved in such an incident - it must have been very distressing.

However, I am finding it difficult to make the leap from your posting, to the report you have linked us to, as to why, specifically, it was down to him taking a camera.
(I probably chose the wrong report among a plethora to choose from! Every report has an agenda. For example, that one fails to say I flew home early to go and tell his wife what actually had happened.)

He swam away from his group to take a few more pictures and failed to notice that he was running out of air. The time code on his camera and the pictures he took told the whole story. I saw them, along with his computer profile, but strangely neither were made available to the Coroner's Court.

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
I bought a camera to go to Tenerife last year and have used it since when I went back to 'reefie in May.

I've spent the last year getting used to my twins, the new set up and the weighting, so I haven't bothered taking my camera in with me on UK dives as I reckoned I had enough to be thinking about :)

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Yeah .......... well ............... gas left is the primary concern and if you shutterbugs can't remember that then ................!

Perhaps one day soon a camera supplier will put a sensor on the camera that reads your cylinder pressure and flashes the info up on the camera display!!!

Now to my main points:-

Is the Fuji F30 still the best digi camera in the price range.
Have any of you shutterbugs become scared about how stupid you are taking a camera with you on a dive and want to sell it very cheap to me?

·
Tonton Flaneur
649 Posts
Agree with everything said about task loading and the dangers of getting fixated on the camera, but on the plus side getting a camera really helped me with my buoyancy, I spent a lot of time with it in a marina and realised that what I'd thought was hovering was more like slow motion crashing. I'd watch in despair as sea squirts twisted, drifted and sank out of the viewfinder while I waited for the shutter lag.
I found being forced to stay still for a couple of seconds very different to accepting "that's close enough to neutral"
Also having a camera forces your attention onto all sorts of things you'd normally miss, Cowries under Brighton pier for example, didn't notice them until I tried to take a picture of something else nearby.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.