YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark Powell's thread has got me thinking.

When I joined YD in 1995, I thought I was well below average as a diver because everyone on here seemed to have fancy equipment and do well 'ard deep diving.

Those who bragged the most and had the most opinions made out that they were "above average", yet those who were more self deprecating and modest were the ones I really admired when I talked to them or dived with them.

As diving is non-competetive, what makes someone above average?

Being able to put knowledge into practice? (which covers all aspects of the type of diving the individual does)

Knowing your limitations?

Being able to get yourself and others out of a pickle?

Making those you dive with feel safe and confident?

Should we even rate ourselves?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
No to the last bit!

I have to say I am perplexed about Mark's question and think the answers probably so more about a clash of ego and social expectation than any representation of diving.

You can't be an average diver because there isn't one type of diver, or one aspect of diving.

The person who has their buoyancy nailed may be dreadful at understanding natural signals for critter finding or navigation. The excellent underwater archaelogist may have perceived poor trim because their diving doesn't warrant it, and so on and so on.

All that matters is looking after yourself and anyone you dive with and enjoying it.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
.....All that matters is looking after yourself and anyone you dive with and enjoying it.
Quite.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
All that matters is looking after yourself and anyone you dive with and enjoying it.
+1 :)

Having said that, if you improve your buoyancy skills, or your navigation skills, or whatever skills you chose, is it not likely that you will enjoy your dive more?

Being more 'in control' of my diving, and being able to have confidence in myself underwater certainly means I enjoy diving more.

As a novice, I was scared of rapid ascents, getting lost, ruining the visibility etc. These days, I have a lot more confidence in those skills, so relax and enjoy the dive a lot more than I used to.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Average on YD or average in the general diving population?

YD gives a very skewed view of the diving world, as we tend to be the most entheusiastic divers - here we are on a monday morning reading about diving on a forum! This type of person obviously takes it a little more seriously than the vast majority of people out there. Your average diver dives once or twice a month wearing a single cylinder and a BCD to 20 - 25m.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Having said that, if you improve your buoyancy skills, or your navigation skills, or whatever skills you chose, is it not likely that you will enjoy your dive more?
I think the key bit is "whatever you choose".

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
I'm above average on a Sharm day boat, which means I have the buoyancy of a whelk.

I think diving IS confidence and honesty to yourself. Usually the noisy ones are the ones that are unconfident and scared. Above average divers are ones that know when the sea has made them unwelcome and they need to can the dive to dive another day.

When I started I saw that as weakness. Now I see it as experience.

Reactions: jasonbridges
1 - 10 of 10 Posts