Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I just wondered

·
Diving in the sand
224 Posts
Imported post

No this is a normal working day out here in Saudi

But I am off to Jeddah for the weekend (Thursday), 27C bottom temps, 30+m vis,......

Its a tough life but somebody's got to do it!!!

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Of course.  What sort of a stupid question is that.

What could possibly be so important that you have to miss diving over it.   You can plan funerals, weddings, christenings around the tide you know.    Who's diving on Christmas day then.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Imported post

Nope,

Getting withdrawal symptoms, just need a quick fix to get me through, think I'll put mask and test my pony in the fish tank.

ancl

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Dived Saterday out of Brighton wether was picking up around 2.00pm so the Sunday mob would have been lucky to get out.
We were about 11miles out but the viz was OK 4-5m with good light penitration down to the wreck at 30.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

No but I dived yestersday – sunny but only 1°C and northerly gale but it was a sheltered site (in our favourite fiord) and the vis was OK (5-6 m) though not as good as it has ben for the past few weeks. The temp in the sea is falling fast now – only 4 degrees in the surface water. Here are a couple of pics I took. The first one is a little anenome (Protanthea simplex) which is quite common in Norway but only occurs in the Gullmaren fiord here in Sweden.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Changed my mind! I took this picture a week ago in the archipelago close to the Norwegian border.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>No diving this w/end. Have been taking my daughter swimming and to see Santa on the local minitature railway, and being nagged by her that we have to put up the tree.

But am hopng to get wet next w/end and not at the local quarry.

gareth

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Not today, putting up more lights on the front of my house. Wify took some stuff left to me by my gran to the TV prog where they value items and the auction them later.
They liked two things so she'll be on TV on two programs in Feb.

Went diving from Brighton with Mark C & other YDers yesterday.
Sea temp at 32mtrs still a tropical 12 deg.
No only does the channel keep the froggies out it stays warm.. well relatively warm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

DD,

I thought you was out with Steve today - in which case you got a right result going out yesterday instead. We got half way to the wreck and decided to dive something else (City of Brisbane) - I say we - of the 10 on board only 3 got in. The sea by this time was more a kin to Surfing than diving.
I really wished I'd stayed in bed.

Cheers

Steve

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Steve.
Originally was going with Steve today, but got mega sulk from wifee, Mark C then arranged a dive for Sat and the skipper let me change from Sun to Sat and everybodies happy.

Judging by the weather and your statement l did the right thing for a change.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Imported post

Will not dive till the new year as I will be working 7 days a week till xmas is over and 12+ hours most days, humbug

Allan

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

Howard,

You DEFINATELY did the right thing - even Steve said we was mad to be out.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Squeezed one in...1 centigrade in 2-3m viz. Best time to dive in the lake is now as the algae is dead so viz is better.

The water level was really low so I'd say the max depth of the lake would be 23-25m. Normally, when full 28-30m....in any case I did a solo run to 18m and it was blood cold and dark...did my usual silt up run to zero viz, stripped all my gear off, and put it back on again (entanglement emergency pratice)...fun fun...saw a crayfish and a perch.

Regards.

Graham

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>no went yesterday but had arotten day. never mind just have to go again soon as poss, just to get it right.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

A couple of us turned up out of the 6 who said they were going to. We expected to get RB'd but not by 4 of them, bottlers. We dived the Pier for a change.   4 metre vis, couple of lobsters, lots of bottles to hunt through.  My mate got tangled in fishing line and i binned the FFM and had to go onto my back up.  Practice dives, you can't beat them.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Crummock Water, Lake district, first dive 22 m max, for 30 mins, doing Dive Leader stuff with trainee, 2nd dive 16m max for 25 mins, doing role as "Numptie diver" to test potential DL's ability to cope with  trainees inevitable FUBARs. Pulled a cool OOA stunt, potential DL hadn't checked my air for about 10 mins, so I sneakily closed down one valve, breathed the reg down and swopped to back-up, you should have seen the look of confusion when eventually she asked for my air and I showed her a flat gauge
A handy way to drive the point home

Air temp... dunno but the ice began to form on my kit before I got it packed away, water temp, anywhere between 5 & 7 deg C depending on depth at the time.

Possible the nicest weather I've ever seen in the lakes, cloudless sky, glorious sunshine, all in all a Grand day out.
Chee-az
Stevil

PS following the recent "shutdowns" thread, and being on Mr Hayhurst's home territory, I made sure to keep a beady eye out for sneaky YBODers turning my air off
Keeps you on your toes if nothing else

1 - 20 of 23 Posts