YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Does anyone know where to get hold of Luxfer Argon cylinders smaller than 1.5 litre. I'd like the 0.5 litre if poss or perhaps the 1 litre. SDS can only get the 1.5.

The reason being is that with the 1.5 its too big to mount on my backplate and I'd rather not mount argon on the tanks. After having done a few dives with it I also find that I hardly use any gas from it so its a bit overkill.

Any help would be most appreciated

Kindest Regards

WL

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Could you not cannibalise one from a BCD emergency inflator or buy one of the spare-air thingys to use?

Peter

·
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Are they .5 litre ? If so then they're probably a bit small. Where can I see one or find the dimensions ?

Kindest Regards

WL

EDIT: I've also seen that Catalina offer a .9 litre. Anyone know if they are available in the UK?

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I don't really know the size of them. It was just a idea that crept into my brain. You could get two and mount one on either side. This would give you a bit of redundancy.

Peter

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The reason being is that with the 1.5 its too big to mount on my backplate
I thought DIR used thigh-mounted argon..?

Take a look at AP Valves' product catalogue - they sell a 1 litre alu cylinder for £74.55 - Order code AP6I/AP93 (DIN or A-clamp I think)

Any AP Valves stockist ought to be able to order you one. I know using a cylinder provided by the manufacturers of the Inspiration is probably enough to get excommunicated from the DIR cult, but it's the only place I know of that does 1l alu cylinders...

·
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Dominic, thanks mate, just what I was looking for. And in my favourite colour too. Cool !

As well as the thigh mount theres also AndrewG's method which I like a little better but you need a small diameter bottle in order to sit nicely between the tanks and your back. I tried both with the 1.5 litre but it was a pain. The bottles too big and heavy.

See the two setups here;

http://www.divetekadventures.com/TechnicalARmounts.htm

Kindest Regards

WL

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>NDC and Bristol channel diving are doing full Kits for around £100, maybe they can be of help?www.bristolchanneldiving.co.uk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts