YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hoping for some advice on which Argon first stage to go for - I've not got anything old lying around, so it's wallet out time again.

I've had a recommendation for Poseidon, which I think includes an OPV, but to be honest I know absolutely nothing about these - which model, price, where from etc.

Other than that I was thinking of sticking with Apeks for commonality with my other stuff. I've seen a recommendation for the US4  - compact, yes, but suited for cold water? or is that not really an issue for this application. And presumably detuning is a good idea - which is a service type job?

And any OPVs to recommend / avoid?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I have the OPV sold by SubAqua Products, it's pretty good - very easy to adjust.

I'd say stick on any old first stage, so long as you can crank the IP way down - you don't really need a high performance reg for suit inflation.

I think Digger has some Scubapro Mk II first stages lurking about, they're a pretty reliable bit of kit..

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>neil,
argon for suit inflation has not been proven to offer any benefit over air except in the mind of the diver using it.
scientific testing could not show any diference in body temp between air/argon i will post the report address later.
i would suggest you looked at the quality of your under suit before shelling out on argon as the suit would need to be flushed correctly  before diving and this requires no small amount of argon.
correct me if i'm wrong but this is how i see argon:
extra cylinder to carry that is not breathable.
another j cylinder in the dive planning.
no proven benefit for diver.

cheers
barrie

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

Apeks DS4, £80 ish

OPV from Underwater Explorers £15 ish

Kindest Regards

Andy

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

I use a Scubapro MK16, so far it has functioned OK. I have found Argon to make a difference, but, it made little or no difference in my membrane suit which was quite loose fitting whereas for the neoprene which is much closer fitting it makes a huge difference.

Andrew

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ Mar. 23 2004,08:28)]Hi

Apeks DS4, £80 ish
Good choice

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]

OPV from Underwater Explorers £15 ish
Be carefull on this one, I bought an OPV from UE and it was a non adjustable one that cracked at 15bar. Way too high IMO. Make sure you get an adjustable one, Sub-Aqua products do them as do Aquarius in Didcot.

HTH
Rob.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

DS4 would be a good choice for argon, with an OPV.

I use a posiedon which has an OPV built in.  Both the poseidon and DS4 can be detuned.  Trouble is, every time I check the IP of the poseidon, it has crept back up to about 9 bar.  Every time I check the IP on my DS4's it' rock steady.

Another good reason not to use poseidon regs I suppose.

Detuning certainly isn't a service job.  You'll need an IP gauge.  To adjust the poseidon, all you need is an alen key, to adjust a DS4 you need a c-spanner and alen key. It's really simple to do.

If you are diving any amount of helium you will need an alternative suit inflation gas, whether it's argon or air.  Argon will make a difference, but if you have ever used backgas with more than about 30% helium in it you *will* get seriously cold.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Anyone know where I can get a C-spanner, by the way..?

Used to be able to undo it by hand, but since it got serviced, I haven't been able to unscrew a bloody thing - not even the DIN fitting

·
Registered
109 Posts
Imported post

C-spanners: if you know the diameter you want you can order them from Halfords and I presume other such tool supliers.

Detuning Apex regs: If you can't detune far enough with an alen key, apex made/make a first stage for Siebe Gorman BA, very much like the US/DS models. This uses a 6 bar interstage presure. You can use the spring from one of these to achieve the desired presure for argon. Find out who in your area services such equipment and ask them. Alternatively you can grind down the existing spring but I don't stand buy this method since I heard it second hand (though it came from a technitian) and I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>divers warehouse do a full set  bottle first stage and opv for around £130 if i can remember rightly

·
The Voice of his (De)generation
1,418 Posts
Imported post

Looked at the options on that DIRDirect which seems good and sells great gear and all concievable options etc but my God it is expensive - £271 for a TX50 where the same valve is £178 at the DiversWarehouse - I know were i will be going - I understand that the Halcyon gear is pricey and that is ok but £100 difference is too much.  I called them about the Halcyon wing and there are very helpfull etc and someone called back to see if I had further questions etc as the normal guy wasn't there when I called so that is nice but there are charging alot and I feel bad about calling one place and buying at another but i have used the warehouse and they are excellent so it is much cheaper and also an excellent service.
Dinger

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

1.6" is about 40.6 mm, and they do one which is described as  40 to 42 mm, so it might be worth a try. I know a guy through work who was trying to find something, so if he risks it and has any success I'll report back.

The price seems reasonable, under £7 from memory, but as ever it's the postage (£4.95) which is the killer.

Which is where I'll leave it 'cos I'm not really bothered about doing my own reg work ... just got a bit bored this aft!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>DW does indeed have an offer on Argon kits at present, and yes, they are £130.

Stu.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Imported post

Hi all,  get the apeks US4-its £15 or so cheaper and you just adjust with a 6mm allen key. Set to about 7bar or so. Saves the cost of a 42mm c spanner (direct from apeks around £8) andtheres no need for the enviroment seal on a reg used for suit inflation.

Also, AP do a much cheaper non adjustable o/p for about £6-it comes in two pressure versions (cant remember what though).Dive rite also do a very compact adjustable o/p but I've only seen it in the states

HTH

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Bung jay(Heads-up) a PM. He was selling a full argon set-up about a month or so ago. He's maybe still got it!

Peter

1 - 20 of 22 Posts