YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi All,

After advice and recommendation for a cheap argon setup,  need to know as much as possible.  Average price for a fill, recommended size of cylinder, 1st stage (Special one required I guess ?).

Just for info,  I know this maybe overkill but I am considering one for the wife as she feels the cold and it would extend her diving season.  

TIA
Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

If you'e using air or nitrox, you're unlikely to get any benefit from Argon...

The first stage can be any conventional one, but it needs either a DV or an OPV (Over-pressure valve) in case the reg decides to freeflow.

Remember to mark the cylinder very clearly as being non-breathable air, there's been at least one death from somebody deciding to go pootling around the swimming pool using daddy's little scuba tank...

You might want to look into something like the Xerotherm for her instead - I bought my mother some of the Xerotherm socks, and they keep her feet warm. There can be no greater endorsement!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Imported post

Hi Daz,
Ive started using argon and it seems to make quite a difference.
What sort of diving do you/your wife do? i notice a difference using argon but really only on longer dives (1hour+) less than that & i dont tend to feel the cold anyway. if your not looking to do deep/long duration dives i wouldnt bother with Argon its just extra crap to carry around & go wrong and i struggle to find anyone local that keeps it. (working on getting it at RoHo)
i wouldnt suggest moving to argon, first i would look closely at
1. how much weight does your wife dive with? sometimes adding a little will alow you keep more air in your suit during the dive = happy Bunny
2.What sort of undersuit does she wear? -its not a ten year old wooly bear??
if you need a new undersuit i can recomend  a coulple

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the advice guys.

The wife uses a 4th element xerotherm with a weezle extreme overtop.  I guess she is just prone to the cold.  To be fair she did have surgery to remove her thyroid a couple of years ago and notices the cold a lot more since.

Sounds like Argon is not the way to go,  I think I will start playing around with resistance wire and batteries (might as well have a second use for my DIY battery pack.
)  Nothing like mixing electricity with water to spice things up.  

Cheers anyway,
Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

You could try replacing the Extreme with the Extreme +

Or maybe a compressed neoprene drysuit, which I gather are a bit more insulating than simple membranes..

Then there's the amount of heat that can be lost through the hands and head - is she using a good quality, thick hood? Gloves? Have you tried those 3-finger mitts John Gulliver (I think) swears by?

All else failing, buy her a bigger cylinder and namby pamby fins, add 5kg to her weight belt, and she can keep warm by finning like #### to keep up with you ;)

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Actually she does what she can to insulate herself, hood, gloves etc... but cannot abide really thick gloves as she can't operate anything.  

Somehow the idea of a bigger cylinder and small fins, great though it is, would never work.  Well it would work once but after the dive she would be wearing my balls for earings. ;)

Actually all joking aside I am seriously considering the resistance wire approach.  If i fix it between 2 T shirts I know I can make something that is safe even if it does get wet.  I already have batteries, reed switchs and the like so for the £5 that a reel of wire will cost it has got to be worth a play.

(And if it does not work,  I can always start looking at the market for heated hand grips (Interested Mr Binnie !!).

Daz

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Is the Wife well insured !!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds fun Daz, I have seen a full undersuit somewhere with the setup you are talking of trying, cant remember where I saw it, maybe someone else has seen it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, if the thermal aspect doesnt work then the wife might get a cheap Perm out of it.............I have been watching too many cartoons.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Imported post

Daz,
just a thought - when you mention the electric thing.... i happen to know that EoHo have some really cheap (£50 i think) electric heated thinsulate undersuits, there old stock thats been in the the shop forever and they dont come with a battery, but just might be the ticket for you missus?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Dunkster,

You are a legend mate.  I owe you a big drink if we ever meet up.  Just phoned RoHo,  got 2 of them on the way to me.

1 left if anyone fancies a chance on a medium heated undersuit, 12v no battery.  

Thanks again,

Daz

·
Registered
52 Posts
Imported post

glad i  could help mate.
thought about getting one myself but im afraid a medium just aint gonna cover much of me!
let us know how they work.

p.s if you need 12v batteries cheap?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Gee heads like I would forget and as soon as I get to Anglesey I will buy you a pint as well (ooops forgot, you won't be able to make it). ;)

Will let you all know how I get on (Somehow managed to melt a 4 aa cell battery holder last night !!!  Oh well I am sure Edison had a few hiccups in his time.  :scared:

Think I will work on the wifes suit first !!.

Daz

But seriously,  thanks again Duncan, will keep you informed.  If I don't post anything for a few weeks it is probably safe to assume it did not go to well ;)

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Heated undersuit update.

OK first test this weekend,  max depth 28m, 50 minutes. Water temp 5c.  (See report on National dive centre in other forum).

Firstly,  suit is a bit loose but managed to queeze it and the two battery packs under my drysuit.  Turned it on (push switch on one of the battery packs, requires fumbling around the crotch area, no change there then ;) )

Added 2kg as the suit was quite thick..  Overall the heating pads kept me very comfortable,  I turned it off for 10 minutes during the dive to see if I could notice the difference - boy could I tell the difference... brrrr
Also my hands were cold at the end of the dive but not numb with cold (unlike the 2 guys I was diving with).

Battery usage was not to bad, so I might change to a slimmer configuration with half of the batteries. (10 AA's).

Problems....

OK the suit is just to thick and padded.  It is also causing air to be trapped possibly due to the undersuit being pulled into the autodump vent.  This means dumping air on ascent is very slow...  

I am going to attempt to remove the heat pads from the suit and fit them in something a little more suited for me.  Failing that I will remove the lower half of the suit, the arms of the suit and use the remaining torso section.

All in all,  £50 well spent..

Second result,  took my DIY torch on it's first outing, no battery canister just dropped the head unit in my pocket.  28m, no water leakage....

All in all a right result.

Thanks Duncan for the info on the suit.

Daz

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Hi Daz
glad to hear it went well and the wifes not getting new earings or hairdo. Heated grips - BMW, Triumph and Yamaha all do them. The BM ones are the tidiest. You can also get heated gloves, and suits. The gloves are or were when I last used them hopeless, as you bend your fingers so the wire, in a coiled loop, opens slightly and grabs the hair off the back of the fingers. Then it plucks them, so beware of that when you make your suit if you have any hair it can grab hold of. Not sure about the suit (for bikes) as I never had one but its made by Gialli, I think, I can let you have the name if you need it, just let me know.
Catch you at Anglesy.

Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts