Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hey there

just a bit of fun to decide if i should bother or not could create some interesting results i think.

DD

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

I've used it when the water's been cold - however I'm not convinced it makes a lot of difference from some of the stuff I've read & people I've talked to.  Subjective testing by various interested parties suggest it's not as effective as we'd like to think. However on the few times I've used it in anger (flush suit through 3 times before the dive etc) I have felt toasty warm during the dive. This may or may not be due to the 'placebo' effect, but as long as I FEEL warm, what the heck.
Also employed to get massive narcosis when plugged into the breather on boring pool nights.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

A couple of the guys in my club use it and swear by it, but as already noted, not sure if it really works. I've been in a semi for the past four years, only had a dry suit this year, so don't really feel the cold, but I guess once I start doing longer bottom times/deco, the cold will start to creep in - maybe then I'll consider it.
Martin

·
Registered
453 Posts
Imported post

Use it, like it, and I think it's probably the placebo effect that keeps me happy!
Through the warmer months though I simply fill the argon bottle with air and use that rather than trimix to prevent 'isobaric counter-diffusion' (skin bruising caused by differing gas densities I believe, although I've never experienced or seen this).

Regards

Robert

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>I used to use it,,,, but stopped when i read in a commercial diver document somewhere a couple of years back that it could cause skin cancer....

Andy

·
Registered
453 Posts
Imported post

AndyP,
Actually I think I've used the wrong term. Isobaric counter diffusion is something different - more to do with switching from high helium mixes to high oxygen mixes.
Somewhere in my training though I'm sure I remember something about not using trimix for suit inflation, not only because of its poor insulating qualities, but also because of this skin-bruising. I'll have a look through some manuals later and see what I can dredge up.

Robert

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Wow, I wish I hadn't done that!  If you put a search in Google for "skin", "bruising" and "trimix" you get a whole load of pages about erectile dysfunction!!

Is that what you got confused with, Robert?
?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

You're of an age to know, Matt......at least I now know what you will be referring to when you tell me you've been to the shops to get some trimix....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>use it, and would recomend it. find it usefull alll year round as i feel the cold quite easy,(getting old) also for the debatable battle of o2 cell storage.

regards

mark

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Do we need a poll on erectile dysfunction following use of trimix.....

I think it might be an eye opener.....

Bags not start the thread/poll.

Kinetic

PS...never used trimix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts