YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

does anyone know if the gas i have is suitable for inflating my drysuit? its a 70/30 mix of argon and co2 and its in my gararge! is it safe?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Can't see any reason why not, unless the CO2 has particularly bad thermal properties. Can't see why it should though, as I'm assuming helium's poor thermal properties are due to it being the second smallest element in the table; Dominic may have some info as he posted some data on thermal conductivity of gases a while ago

AIUI the only reason to 'need' argon suit inflation is when you're on trimix - guess you've caught the techie bug big style ;)
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

been bitten big stylee! not using helium yet but its deffinatly on my crimbo list!dont need argon yet but hopefully by the time i do i'll be used to carrying the extra cylinder around

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

CO2 is a good insulator, but unfortunately it's acidic when dissolved in water - so is generally considered unsuitable for drysuit inflation (No pun intended)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

cheers Dom, just spoke to andy hayhurst and he said the same sort of thing. bah humbug thats my free gas out the window,   unless.......................... what about methane? i could bottle farts and warm my suit with them!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Duncs,

Now that would be a 'rapid ascent' worth watching!! ;)

Take it easy mate and look forward to getting wet again soon.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Oi Dunc, I'm glad to hear that you too are going down the trimix route... As soon as I've learnt how to dislocate both arms and reach back to shut down my valves I'll be booking myself on the TDI Deco Procedures course with Andy H, a decent time and 20 or so deco dives later and I'll be doing the TDI Entry Level Trimix course, Are you up for it??

You've just got to be aware that Andy H becomes an evil vindictive b*stard in all courses after the Advanced Nitrox so it'll be grim but hopefully worth it.

Dave.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Dave, any idea of the course contents for TDI Deco Procedures? If its all about shut downs etc think I may have to venture into the inverted setup in advance of that as (one arm not as flexible as t'other). Think I'd probably be up for that one, even if only for the cameradrie and 'good crack'
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
Imported post

I have read somewhere and dig it out, scan it and put here for you, 100% sure that ARGON can cause SKIN CANCER if used in this way.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Hi Wreckie and welcome to our little world. As this topic  is getting into biomedical realms, I've posted my reply on the Dive Medicine forum
Chee-az
Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts