YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tonton Flaneur
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been reading the thread on ascent rates,
http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/decompression-diving/55053-acsent-rates.html
interesting stuff. It got me wondering about the ascent rate on my Uwatec Digital dive timer. I've only used as a backup so far, but I'm still ashamed to admit I've got no idea what rate it uses:embarassed:. Found the following in the manual...

"The ideal rate of ascent is now calculated relative to depth"
and
"The Digital measures your rate of ascent and compares it to the programmed target values."

but I can't seem to find the "programmed target values" listed.
Anyone got any ideas. If I'm being thick please put me out of my ignorance humanely.
Thanks
Jimbob

·
Tonton Flaneur
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, not feeling quite so stupid now although I keep expecting that someone will tell me that the rates are written on the back of the strap in fluorescent paint headed with the phrase "Read this monkey boy".
I've sent Uwatec an e-mail. I will let you know what they say.

·
Facetious,knob git!How many more insults can I get
158 Posts
If it's the same as the old Aladdin computers they run a variable ascent rate, anything from 20m/min deep (probably 50+m) up to I think it was 7m/min in the top 10m. 100% being the top of the allowable ascent.

But do you really spend your whole ascent looking at it, or do you gauge it yourself? ;)

Regards :)

·
Tonton Flaneur
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, thought it might be interesting/useful to know. I don't look at it at all actually, I've got my fisher price computer which I stare at with undivided concentration for the whole ascent. If I look away even for a second it feels neglected. I've heard they beep if they get cross and I would rather avoid that. I treat my computer like a tamagotchi, so far it seems quite happy.;)

·
Tonton Flaneur
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The very nice people from Scubapro have replied...

"The Dive Timer, like all UWATEC computers works on a variable ascent
rate based on your depth. The ascent rate varies between 7 and 20 meters
per minute between 6 and 50 meters depth. This rate is displayed on the
dive timer as a percentage. When 100% is reached, this is the maximum
recommended ascent rate for the depth, and anything above 100% is in
excess of the recommended rate of ascent."

They very kindly did not refer to me as monkey boy once.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The ascent rates for (recommended) as shown as 100% were in the UWATEC FAQ page of the web site.
Just checked it and it is no longer there.
I know from heart that from 7 metres to surface the rate is 7mt a min.
As for the others I will check.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
The best way I have found to use ascent rates is to look at the depth and the time and control your ascent rate to match the time.

This takes a little practice (and boy have we had some in the past months), but the bottom section is pretty much as fast as I can control and then 3-6 m/min is fairly easy after that by noting the time I leave the stop and what time I arrive at the next 3m stop.

I do not use the ascent bars on the Vyper or the Uwatec BT anymore.

HTH

·
Tonton Flaneur
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. You've answered question behind the question.
I don't do decompression diving and I tend to come up as slowly as possible checking the computer every so often, but all this talk of ascent rates had got me wondering. My computer is a suunto so 3 bars is 8-10 mpm. So I thought "that's easy, how would I do it on my Uwatec digital?" But as you point out I'm barking up the wrong tree, I thought it would have to be a time/depth type thing but that's like asking me to cover up the speedometer in my car and telling me to drive somewhere at 30mph, at the moment I suspect I would be arriving too early or too late (probably with a ticket or two) I guess it's a skill I will have to learn and a good one to have.
Thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts