YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

asda are selling shark steaks i thought shark fishing was frowned upon i have contacted asda to register my disgust anyone else wishing to do so   http://www.asda.co.uk

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Thanks for pointing this out - have done likewise.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Something similar came up last year on Handbag, cant remember which Supermarket chain though, lots of us wrote in and complained, we all received the same reply, surprise (NOT). They just stated that the sharks they were 'harvesting' were not on the endagered list, however, they advised that they would review their policy based on Customer, or potential customer, resistance, shortly thereafter the sale of shark steaks by that Supermarket was stopped. So its worth writing in and voicing an opinion.
I'll check Handbag to see if I can find who it was last time.

Matt

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Even if it is dogfish, they're subject to the same low reproductive output as other shark family members.
I'll be registering my disapproval with them too as I often shop there
THanks for the heads up on that

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

I've registered my objection too...

Probably will get the usual platitudes in reply..

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>Have to say I think I noticed shark in sainsbury's too last night when i was nipping in to buy some dinner. Unfortunately i think it has joined the "trendy" fish like fresh tuna steaks, so we may have a fight on our hands to get them to listen

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nick Bown @ Mar. 03 2004,12:25)]Seriously though, not good at all. Are you sure its not dogfish? I'll be registering my complaint as well.

That's just as bad.

I'm registering my complaint now.

Daz

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

the package stated 98% shark caught in the indian ocean .I work for asda in the distribution freezer and have since had a look and cant find any in stock and cant remember if ive ever sent any to store but will look properly today and try and get figures of stock to store deliveries . I am not happy as some one at work has suggested that i could be disciplined for talking about the company in a bad light without clearing it with management

·
Registered
105 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the package stated 98% shark caught in the indian ocean
that'll be why there aren't any f*cking sharks left here then.

A tip about management: make damn sure of your facts first. If it's true then it's their problem, if it's not, it could be yours.

tas

still  

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Imported post

Also sent my e-mail off to them...had to cut it short before I started ranting at them too much! Ooopppppss!!!

Scubachick

·
Registered
105 Posts
Imported post

I tried to look in the "online" Asda the other day but couldn't. So I sent them a bland e-mail through the site asking whether they sold shark meat (I can't remember exactly what it said).

Just received a reply

Dear Tas,

Thanks for your e-mail.

I don't think we sell the product you refer to, however if you contact our
customer relations team on 0500 1000 55 they will be able to advise you
further.

Kind regards,
James Yelland
[/unquote]

what's the truth?

tas

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tas @ Mar. 04 2004,12:46)]I tried to look in the "online" Asda the other day but couldn't. So I sent them a bland e-mail through the site asking whether they sold shark meat (I can't remember exactly what it said).

Just received a reply

Dear Tas,

Thanks for your e-mail.

I don't think we sell the product you refer to, however if you contact our
customer relations team on 0500 1000 55 they will be able to advise you
further.

Kind regards,
James Yelland
[/unquote]

what's the truth?

tas
Well, according to the UK food standards agency they do:

http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/fsis40_2003annex.pdf

(as do Sainsburys and a couple of others - as of last summer, anway).

I just got a form reply from Asda thanking me for my feedback. I've sent a snotty reply.

Sainsburys next, I think...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (divermckay @ Mar. 04 2004,10:35)].I work for asda in the distribution freezer I am not happy as some one at work has suggested that i could be disciplined for talking about the company in a bad light without clearing it with management
<font color='#000080'>blimey, what a bunch of authoritarians! As long as you're not speaking in an official capacity as an ASDA employee I'm sure they can't legally sack you for what you say in your personal life. If thats the what the atmosphere is like where you work,  it sounds like you need a trade union in there!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (divermckay @ Mar. 04 2004,10:35)]I am not happy as some one at work has suggested that i could be disciplined for talking about the company in a bad light without clearing it with management
<font color='#000080'>Serious thought. If anyone DOES give you a hard time over this (which would be outrageous) I would go to the CAB for legal advice  - or threaten to go to the local press, which would make them look really bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Imported post

Letter faxed yesterday after reading this.

According to professional campaigners, hard copy letters have more impact.  Another trick is to copy it to a campaigning charity (ie the Shark Trust) and your MP or a sympathetic MP making sure the main recipient can see who's been copied - campaigning charities especially like to know when they're being backed like this.

Tracey

1 - 20 of 68 Posts