YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

ask a simple question - who will give you a straight answer?

• The scientists?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The instructors?

• Bren?

• Peter K?

• Andy the commie?

• Anyone with an engineering qualification?

• Dominic?

• Someone on the DIR kside?

• none of the above?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Noticing a trend here and amazed at the vaiety of responses to a simple question and decided it was time for another silly poll...

Given that someone once told me "two divers, three opinions" who on YD can you trust to give you a straight answer

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>i ask everyone then listen to no one
my choice
terry saunders

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>julia,
a closed mind is a dangerous thing,the opions of others irrespective of right/wrong in our view are still entitled to be heard and considered even if not eventually agreed with.
so to take other peoples experiences and offer our own is a way to develope and improve both our attitude and our approach to diving and safety.
i think generally people post on topics they have an opinion about and lets face it if something posted by you was bull,it would have an effect on how i viewed your posts thereafter.
so to answer your simple question i would consider all and trust the person who the bookstops at "me".
cheers
barrie

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

I see we have an early trend not to trust anyone for a straight answer!

I'll go with the others, advice here is normaly pretty good, but ultimately the choice is yours, not everything works for everyone.

My advice is obviously brilliant though, and can be trusted 110%. Has anyone heard my theory for filling one of your twins with lager so you do not get thirsty and dehydrate during a dive?, that one's a gem.  

James

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Everyone has the right to an opinion, but I have my doubts that all should be allowed the freedom to express it.
(ps I'm an Engineer)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Well As im a Mechanic/engineer Im kind of with Reeve, And I tell people all the time ( ie clients to be qt)..
So only those fully in the know, should express theroies and should never start with well "I think",
as far as i'm concerned it should be "I know" followed closely  Because this= that and concludes to that...
So dont ever ask me diving related questions because I will always start with " I Think"
Steve

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I went for Andy the Commie his answer will blunt if nothing else and he has dived a bit more agresivly than the rest of us.
Most of us havent done a free ascent from 200m on a single 12 of air.

Mind you isnt the point of the threads to mention things that make another diver say: Oh yes I hadent thaught of that? and then go away and make their own minds up or do a bit more reaserch. They dont have to adopt the whole concept.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>I voted Andy as he is always willing to qualify his response and seems to have thought about his reply before posting.

But I also agree that you need to listen to many differing views and then make a decision based on your own diving.

Juz

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Imported post

When judging advice you should ask yourself the following of the advisor:
What is the breadth of their experience?
How does it relate to my intended situation?
What is their particular point-of-view?
How partisan are they?
Why are they giving me advice?
Take advice from all quarters - then make up your own mind!

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Robert @ Feb. 27 2004,09:11)]Bit of a random selection there Julia - how about adding Audi drivers?!

Robert
Ah well, us Audi drivers obviously appreciate fine engineering when we see it! LOL

Yes it was a random and eclectic selection of choices, you can always nominate someone else.

I voted for Andy the commie too, you do get a straight answer from him...

and yes in general I do like to hear the breadth of opinion on YD, problem is for me that i can see almost everyone's point of view and end up with decision paralysis.

Like for example the which twinset to get debate? I went all the way round and back with twin 7s? 300bar? manifolded? which wing? etc. and so didnt end up getting anything.... until i was given a set of twin 10s. I tried them and i could still climb the ladder so twin 10s it was. sometimes the decision arrives without too much debate!  

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

interesting that so far no-one has voted for the scientists or The instructors?
whilst someone has voted for the troll off handbagnet? LOL:D

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Julia
I did that too, 7 300/232 or 10's, eventually saw a set on E-bay near me, for about what I wanted to pay. Bought them, decision made. Still like the look of 7's though  

Maybe 3's would be better, surrounded by a big yellow box thing.

Matt

·
9,347 Posts
Imported post

You should have the category - All of the above!

Foll-de-roll. Who are you calling a troll?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ Feb. 27 2004,09:50)]interesting that so far no-one has voted for the scientists or The instructors?
But what about the Scientist Instructors like Paul Beal and myself (amongst others)  

I like to think I'll give a straight answer (that's the Instructor bit) when asked but probably usually end up giving too much info (that's the scientist bit  
)

JB said
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Take advice from all quarters - then make up your own mind!
which is exactly what The Bard meant when he wrote
"Give every man thine ear, but few thy voice:
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment."
(Hamlet, Act 1 scene iii)

Truth is, any straight answer will always be limited because there are always lots of different options to achieve the same effect (All roads lead to Rome...
).  Someone once said to me "I like talking to so-and-so 'cos they always give me good advice", more like they're just saying the things you're hoping to hear, whereas sometimes the best objective advice is unpalatable.

So... from that lot, I guess I'm not the one for a "straight answer"  

·
9,347 Posts
Imported post

There are no straight answers.
When I was a teenager I saw everything in terms of black and white. Then I noticed a rainbow. I am told there are seven colours in a rainbow but as I get older I begin to see more and more. In fact there are billions.
An opinion is only that. I know that some of my opinions in print have upset people - but normally only those with a financial or vested interest in the item criticized.
(I have received dozens of letters from lawyers but never a court summons.)

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I had to vote Scientist, but that only applies to scientific discussion.

It depends on the question.

Listen to a scientist for a scientific question
an instructor for a training question
or someone with relevant experience for a situational question.

But then again I thought the point was for us all to think about the question and see what makes sense to us and then for the questioner to decide which bits to take on board. More often than not noone has all the answers (except maybe Andy) and we all learn something from discussing it.

Guess who's spent the morning in meetings ?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I try and listen to everyone, then tell them I think they're all wrong. Worryingly, I have had people who listen to me and only me, which can't be a great idea, because then you end up being just like me, and you should always aim for the top. Which isn't me at all. I just like to get by and keep myself safe.

I'm also a great one for being the first to try an idea, certainly within our club there's not been many gone the way of inverted tanks. Yet slob knobs are virtually standard issue for the manifolded sets. Personally, I'm happy to try anything as long as it's controlled environment at first, and then into something a bit more complicated.

And I try and listen to as many opinions as possible, but I do find sometimes I know whayt the first 5 responses are going to be. It's when someone different pops their head in we get a bit more controversy, or someone normally who I'd agree with says something different I get interested. Bigtime.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

I voted scientists as I am (kind of) a scientist by profession (or might be one day). Mind you, at the moment, I think I spend more time as an instructor that as a scientist (shhh, don't tell my boss!!).

I have had some really good information and advice from people on here. I do generally know enough about the things I ask to take the good and be sceptical about the bad. Furthermore, as I am in a scientific environment all day everyday you develop a critical mind about everything you do/read.

However, I do not think that anyone would ever give out either bad, or the wrong advise unless they were in a situation where they did not really know what they were talking about and were just trying to be helpful. Everyone tries to give a straight answer, I think some are better at doing it than others.

There is however a difference between the things that some people think are right and some think are wrong. Pony cylinders are a recent example of this
This is what makes it a forum (Does this word have Latin roots?).

To develop something Digger has mentioned above, there is a certain set way in which threads run. You will start a new thread, 2 or 3 regulars will answer straight away, after about 6 hours a few others will come in and it is at this point the debate (or on H'bag.net the slagging) will start. Finally, there will be someone, a real expert, the person who we all hope will read our thread, put their words of wisdom forward and the debate will either go dead or go mad. Of course there are then the "thanks for that" posts to think about too!

Paul

1 - 20 of 62 Posts