YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I've seen a few people speak positively about Anglesy so I thought I'd throw it in as another choice for a YD gig for the August Bank holiday weekend.

Anglesy moves the venue further south for those who might feel that we're just a bit too Northerly in our choice of gigs (altho Abbs does rock)  :bang:

So.. can I have a show of hands of who might be interested in North Wales and who might be interested in Abbs.

I'll need to know early so that I can start looking for good campsites, dive location info and hopefully a hardboat

Anybody with info on reputable skippers, dive sites or places to throw up a tent in Wales please lets hear ya..

If theres not much of a response for Wales I'm gonna be boring and head to the usual haunt North of the border.

Regards
Dave.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I've done porth ysgaden and treaddur, both good shore dives, very easy to get in. Lots of life and good viz, but not a patch on Abbs!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Not done that much on Anglesey dived Rhoscolyn Reef Anglesey Good, Done most of the ones on the Lleyn Peninsular good & Bardseys excellent. Different type of diving than St Abbs. Afraid I'm not familiar with any of the boats and skippers there.:)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Brother Dave
I'd personally be more up for Abbs (see 2tanx's comment) but the majority must rule...and it's all still blown out along the north east coast I believe, haven't dived since the Abbs weekend and getting twitchy! Inshore dive anyone - Pickering's good at the moment I hear...oh, anyone want to come to Scapa Flow some time?

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Paul,

I'd be up for Scapa - the season is fast disappearing tho'

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

When does it disappear? I'm a Scapa virgin but would love to have a go - have you been before? If not this year (frankly it's not going to be before September now) how about next?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Hi Marco

Good to hear from you my friend, Its starting to appear as if St Abbs might be the location once more, but as we all know this is a good thing as there are many places that we have yet to dive there.

It doesn't look as If I'm going to be able to do the whole weekend now as we've just paid for a week in Nuweiba, Egypt and so the next ten weeks are going to be spent on a limited budget, but I most definitely will be turning up for a days diving with the posse.

Best Regards
Dave.

p.s.
Marco we had the misfortune to have to visit our local A&E Monday night as Brad has broken his collar bone

I remembered your comments about the priority system but fortunately we were sped through the system and Brad was very quickly seen to.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Paul, On the Scapa issue - you can dive all-year-round but May - October when you're gonna get the best weather.

Also, there's little point doing less than 5 days up there. It's a long bloody way y'know.

The more folk that are interested in going the cheaper the charter and I could get four or five up for it.

Some friends are going first week in Oct but I'll have just come back from Sharm and my boss may not be keen on letting me have more hols.

Gav continues to waffle .... still I wanna go so ..

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Gavin Yates on 12:10 pm on Aug. 7, 2002
Paul, On the Scapa issue - you can dive all-year-round but May - October when you're gonna get the best weather.

Also, there's little point doing less than 5 days up there. It's a long bloody way y'know.
<span =''>
No shit Sherlock! It's far far north even for you and me bud! I'd be interested though - depending on current financial constraints (getting hitched)

Davey bhoyo - you better be at Abbs on the weekend. I can't make Saturday but can be down with kit, beer and tent Saturnight, ready for diving Sunday......

As for Wales - yeah right...... Yeesch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Imported post

Dear Dave

Sorry to hear about Brad's fracture. I hope he is getting better. It will be nice to see you all soon if you will mange to go in the bank holiday weekend.

my best wishes to Brad for speedy recovery

·
235 Posts
Imported post

I have been lurking on this group for some time and for some years have been an occasional contributor to uk.rec.scuba on the subject of Maltese Diving and cheap u/w photography using the MX5.   I was prompted to sign up as a result of the request for information on Anglesey.
I have dived Holy Island on a couple of occasions.   We are budget divers so me and my fellow member of the Bear Necessities Dive Team stick to shore diving.  
We use Diving Services at Trearddur Bay (01407 860318) for air fills and there are several good shore dives from the beach opposite the shop and free parking just above.   Another good shore dive is from Porthdafarch Beach a few miles North but we found the best dive was on the left of the bay.
We stay at an excellent campsite just half a mile from the dive shop - Tyn Rhos Camp Site  01407 860369 - no need to book it's vast with excellent shower block (25p) washing up room and good toilet block.   The cost was very reasonable.
There is plenty of boat diving available if required with some interesting wrecks offshore apparently.   A branch of Lidl is present in Holyhead for provisions and booze should you run short.
I have a few photos on www.photoisland.com using the name ericdv and the password scuba but the vis. although okay for diving was not good enough for my rather cheapo camera.
Although declared as a budget diver I do manage 3 months a year on Malta so anyone wanting any griff on that location feel free to email me.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Thanks very much for that info Eric.

Glad to see that you've become a poster rather than a lurker mate, the more contributors we have the greater the forums will become.

How on earth do you manage 3 months in Malta u lucky s*d

Dave.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Davey bhoyo - you better be at Abbs on the weekend. I can't make Saturday but can be down with kit, beer and tent Saturnight, ready for diving Sunday......

Are you talking about this Sunday?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Not this Sunday, I'm hoping to be diving the Farne Islands this coming Sunday.

The Abbs weekend will be the bank holiday weekend which I believe is the last weekend of the month.

Does anyone fancy meeting up at say Beadnell Point for a shore dip or two before that?

(Edited by Dave Williamson at 2:24 pm on Aug. 8, 2002)

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

I've got a cricket match on the Saturday of the Bank Hol weekend in North Berwick. I'll pop down to Abbs on the Sunday as we're staying in a hotel in N Berwick on the Sat night.

I can guarantee not to be in a fit state for diving the Sunday so my attendence will be purely in a social capacity.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Well it's looking like an Abbs weekend then...yabbadabbadoo! Hi Marco, great to see you on the forum. See you bank holiday i hope. Davy, poor old Brad, wish him quick recovery (although at his age it should be no time I would hope). Gav mate, Scapa...beginning of an idea methinks...I know that it isn't just an up sticks and go trip (I've been to John O'Groats and it was a looong way...) but it's a long standing ambition of mine and to go with a few like minded souls would be the best...if you're at Abbs maybe we could make this a camp fire topic of conversation :blah:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Imported post

i can recommend scott waterman of quest diving for the best boat diving off the anglesey coastline. he is generally booked up but does have spare places on charters sometimes and runs tech trips during the week.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Since the consensus is Yorkshire Divers will be St Abbs bound for the Bank Holiday, wondered who will be going up and on which days, etc.
Bearing in mind the Scoutscroft could well be busy as last time. Lets have a show of hands who's going?
??

1 - 20 of 40 Posts