YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I've got a low-profile Apeks autodump on my drysuit, which I've not had any problems with until the last few weeks. But now it's starting to be an arse, and it's not dumping air when it should.
So I'm considering dumping it (no pun intended) and replacing it with a SiTech one.
Two questions:

Is it worth it?

How much hassle is it to change them over?

Many people have slated Apeks low-profile in favour of SiTech, but how much better are they?
Is it a simple unscrew old & screw in new, or are SiTech like the Apeks with half a dozen ways of putting it together and only one correct?

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Fill the hole in and get a cuff dump - you know it makes sense really.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

I am really interested in the answer to this as well. As it looks like I might be fitting one very soon.

As an addition to this question

My wifes otter drysuit has been fine for 3 years however it needed a new zip fitted. About a month a go or so, it seemed like a good job.

It now leaks on every dive through the low profile Apeks dump valve. It was pressure tested after having the zip fitted could this have damaged the dump?

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (awalker @ Sep. 24 2003,16:14)]IMy wifes otter drysuit has been fine for 3 years however it needed a new zip fitted. About a month a go or so, it seemed like a good job.

It now leaks on every dive through the low profile Apeks dump valve. It was pressure tested after having the zip fitted could this have damaged the dump?
I would have thought it more likely to have got dirt in it.

If there is nothing to daunting about dismantling an autodump I'd take it apart and clean it (making sure the rubber flange is not damaged or perished). No problem to do on a "cuff dump" but I don't know on an autodump.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Trouble with that, Finless, is that Apeks state there are six ways of putting their autodump together. And only one of them works...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

My Aedura had a low profile Apeks and worked brilliantly, when I had my Brittanic made I requested the SiTech dump and personally I think it's nowhere near as efficient as the Apeks was..

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I have herd loads of issues with low profile Apex dumps and only 1 on sitec. I had a sitec and it never let me down. I had a low profile Apex and it did. My new suit is an 03 and it has a Low profile Apex which works fine but leeks all the time and I do seem to need to adjust it a lot but maby that me (and I also have a cuff dump)

I understand that folowing loads of complaints 03 are binning the use of Apex low profile dumps

Fitting the sitec was very easy and it never leeked. It was very easy to purge manualy though I only ever did this to try it out. It was a fit and forget item.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

On balance, there's more yeas than nays for SiTec.. Still, maybe I should hedge my bets and put the SiTec on my right arm and leave the Apeks on the left

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

The Apeks low profile dumps are fairly poor from a durability point of view - that comes straight from the mouth of the Apeks engineer who ran my Apeks service tech course. They work  but easily fall apart, as backed up by my personal experience. They are simply not designed to be stripped and put back together very often, and the parts are pretty flimsy. The old higher-profile ones are much tougher, last longer etc (again from the mouth of Apeks and from experience.) Si-tec valves work pretty good but aren't as tough as old high-profile Apeks dumps. (just from experience)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

I never tried the si tech but many of us who who have had a low profile apex has probably cursed the useless bit of plastic crap.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (budgy @ Sep. 25 2003,20:24)]I never tried the si tech but many of us who who have had a low profile apex has probably cursed the useless bit of plastic crap.
God I am fed up with these people who dont say what they mean in less than one sentance

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

I've had all three, in my opinion (cos I hate this internet shorthand crap) the Sitech was the best, as it never failed. The Apeks low profile was the worst cos it always leaked, the Apeks high profile I now have seems OK but I am still trying to find the best way to use it, what I will say is, when I want it to dump air in a hurry, I open it up and it dumps in a hurry. So far my Argon usage has gone through the roof, only three dives into it though so we will see.

Andrew

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

I've got an Apeks low profile. Never had any problems before, but you've got me panicking now, yer b'stards.

Shopping round now for a nappy to fit on my left shoulder. Though possibly a panty pad with wings might suffice. Better plan for redundancy though, so I'll keep one in my drysuit pocket.  Is that a soaking wet jamrag in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?  

Too far, Robin, too far.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

I have an apeks autodump and have only just started to get a twinge of water coming in (a few drops over an hour or so, none on shorter dives), I'm tempeted to take it apart but since I don't actually notice the water until I take the suit off I don't really want to risk wrecking it.
I expect its just gunked up, I've been diving an awful lot lately and its plankton bloom time here it seems.  Whats the diff' between the new and old apeks ones?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

The old apeks ones aren't low profile, and the plastic parts are much sturdier. They were designed to be serviced - ie taken apart, cleaned and put back together. The new ones wer not - the idea being that they work for x number of dives, start to get crappy and you replace it. The low profile job has one special tool for opening it up without straining the parts - you can open it without one but the parts are so flimsy that straining them degrades the fit and.....it starts to leak. I think they're rubbish, but then I buy kit on durability.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

I think I'll replace it then. Gives me an excuse to go to BIDS this year, if nothing else..

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

You guys have got me wondering now whats fitted to my suit. The suit is an Oceanic Flex and it 'was' dry but its been leaking for a while, fortunately the Weezle takes care of it, but does anyone know who's make of valve it is or do Oceanic make their own. The neck seal is tight, so I dont think its coming in that way but I end up with damp/wet arms and chest. When I take the suit off there is wettnes in the neck seal but that might have migrated during doffing.
Matt

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

U sure it's leaking and not just the Weezle wicking your sweat out? My arms and upper body are ALWAYS wet for this reason. Even if I never actually go in the water..

I believe Oceanic put their own dumps on.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Dom
seems like quite a bit of 'moisture' just for sweat, suppose I need to do a test on the damn thing to be sure. So I know what I'll be doing this weekend, that should please the wife.

According to Oceanic's warranty I am supposed to get the suit serviced annually - I have a feeling that is due, though I doubt I'll bother, although they do list this as life support kit so covered by lifetime warranty.

Bit wooried as to why you would be suited up and NOT going in the water m8.

Matt

1 - 20 of 30 Posts