YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Just for balance, thus far (about 50 dives) my low profile Apeks doesn't leak, and does work.  However it doesn't work as well as it could.  The dump rate can be a bit slower than I would like.  It is a good job I do slow ascents as I wouldn't like to see it cope with a 10m/min....

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I had a "non-optimal"
ascent in Canada because I couldn't get it to dump.  After some forensic undressing we found that my undersuit had been formced intot he scalloped holes around the inside edge of the valve.  I assume that this was during the descent where, because of the strong current we had to pull ourselves down against, I didn't add air until about 12m.

As we then descended further I had no need to dump until much later in the dive, when I tried to dump to compensate for the lightening tank and couldn't manage it very well.  

Luckily I could ascend up to about 9m using rocks and kelp to keep me down whilst I got as much air out as possible.  I then did as slow an ascent as I could with much flaring of arms and legs etc.

Although it felt fast to me a check on the computer showed that I did manage to take a minute to get to the surface and I had done 3 mins at 9m (thanks to the kelp!) so on this occasion thingsb worked out ok.  I sat quietly on the boat for a while after but no ill effects.  I guess that I was lucky but in cold analysis it was only what we did in OW diving.

The moral of the story though is check your undersuit/dump area if you get a suit squeeze on the way down, to ensure that it isn't blocked.

Lou

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I can 100% guarantee that clenching my lady's fist will never let even the tiniest bubble out past my latex seal!

As for pulling the neck I did consider that, but only briefly.  I can't actually get to the edge of the seal with hood in place and kevlar weave fingers on my gloves would make grabbing it very hard.  By the time I had got any air out it would have been too late anyway.

I am considering replacing the dump, but also using a bit of tube bandage or similar to bind down the undersuit beneath the valve.

Lou

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.