YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Oct. 30 2003,10:57)]I can 100% guarantee that clenching my lady's fist will never let even the tiniest bubble out past my latex seal!

As for pulling the neck I did consider that, but only briefly.  I can't actually get to the edge of the seal with hood in place and kevlar weave fingers on my gloves would make grabbing it very hard.  By the time I had got any air out it would have been too late anyway.

Lou
Thanks Lou that saved me a bit of typing as it was exactly what I was about to say  

Divers Wharehouse advertise and sell Sitech valves.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Hi John,

Thanks for the advice. When I bought my compressed Neo it came with an Apex low profile. I had problems initially flailing my arm trying to get it in the right position to dump. Them when I was < 6m from the surface it would also leak and wet my weezle. Only on ascent. I happened to buy ex-demo suits and cleaned the Apex dump (with a very handy colour technical picture / drawing down loaded from the Apex site). I have had a mixture of experiences with the dump, sometimes leaking at <= 6m and sometimes not. Its still a pain to twist my arm around to get the optimal arm placement to dump and not have air trapped in the sleave of my suit. I'll buy a SiTech one and see what the difference is. I suspect that it could be something to do with the positon of my dump as Typhoon place theirs in between the bi-cep and tri-cep on the left arm.

Something someone once said about the Apex low profile dumps is that the green plastic washer used to provide spring to push the outer plastic cover out when manually dumping, can get inverted and cause an open circuit for water to flow back in to the suit. Could someone tell me if this is right (i.e my under standing of the explantion) or not?

On a completely different point, the weight I add to become negatively buoyant when the cylinder is nearing empty (not actually empty of course, nearer 80bar for instance) is a little too much when the cylinder is full. As a result when I'm at the bottom at the start of a dive I have to fill my suit to become neutrally buoyant. trouble arises as my body is around 20 degrees off horizontal so my feet don't inflate, but any more and air occasionally bubbles/dumps up out of my neck seal. Is this because of my combination of toasty warm thick weezle and baggy Typhoon Neo? as I've seen some diver's drysuits that are very snugg fitting, similar in shape to a semidry?

Sorry for hijacking this thred.

Dave C

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

I too had a low-profile Apeks that leaked and dumped slowly. I had a bit of a whinge at the guys at Divers Warehouse and they replaced it with a Sitech one, which is much better in both respects. The lads at DW displayed their legendary customer service skills and turned it around in less than a week (including postal times). They said that they'd had quite a few 'comments' on the Apeks low profile dump. So I guess the comments on here a far from unique

Laters,
   Janos

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

My apex valve leaked - both of them did (in and out).  Mind you, the suit they were attached to was of such poor quality that i would have been drier diving in a tea bag.  Almost a year to the day (working it out, it would have been cheaper to hire a suit for each dive to that point ), the zip went on the suit.  I sent it back, and they found when they pressure tested it that both the valves leaked, and it had two holes, plus the seals were buggered.  I was told i didnt look after my kit - i have a dry cag (for kayaking) that is 11 years old, about 5th hand, and still has the original seals in it and DOESENT leak!  So yes i do know how to look after my kit - i also know when kit is crap.

So i think it depends on the valves - my new ones dont leak.  Good ones and bad ones, mine is a membrane suit, i dont know if that affects them though.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Deep Dive dont do SiTech, they used to and at a great price, but the web page is very old and no longer supported. I know cos I tried to order it at £25 (approx) and ended up buying an Apex at £45, Sitech was about the same price but out of stock.  
 and I needed a valve for a dive quick.
Matt

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.