YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all,

Following my previous post regarding my *new* equipment, and following visits to SDS, Divers Warehouse, and others, I think I'm down to the following suits...

Azdry Cordura Pro - Tried at SDS with a weezle, has internal braces and elasticated back section. Extremely confortable, good fit and allows plenty of movement.

Otter Skin - #### heavy! These things must last a lifetime!? Tried with a thinsulate suit. Was quite restrictive - didn't like the thinsulate boots, my feet were cold in the shop! Maybe would be better with a weezle but DW don't stock them.

Otter Ultimate - 5mm compressed neoprene, wasn't as restrictive as i expected, about the same as the Otter Skin. Had neoprene seals but they can do them with latex.

I do like the Azdry - a number of places sell them (Denny Diving for example). One person I spoke to didn't rate them - but they only sold one type of suit...

Does anyone have the Azdry that will vouch for it? I can't see it being a turkey at £490, I think that's what I'll eventually go for, with a weezle suit/boots. Unless anyone slates it of course!

Thanks again...

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Lets get this sorted once and for all, I like Otter

Seriously though what size are you and are you going to Anglsea in March? If you are you can have a go with my Membrane and the Neoprene, then you can go buy which ever you want.
I have the Weezle suit and needed to wear damarts under it because when the suit is squeezed there are (?) very little thermal properties to it. You need air in the suit, more air than with the Neoprene, which I wear with Damart and no undersuit, I am just as warm in that.
Borrow or hire a suit or two and give them a try its a lot of money and everyone will have their personal preferences, otherwise they'd be diving in a different suit to the one they are

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Justin

I've just this weekend sold my Oceanic Aerdura which is made from the Codura material, this stuff is completely bomb and bullet proof and should last a lifetime....

The Azdry that you describe is a very simialr suit to my Oceanic and if it fits you well i.e. not restrictive then this is the suit I'd go for..  (The only reason that I sold mine was because it was too restrictive to allow me to isolate my cylinders)

I can highly recommend the Cordura material mate and if you decide on the Azdry route then let me know and I'll contact Chris Denny and see what discount I can get for you.

·
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Hi Andy, not qualified yet, I need the suit to finish training for Ocean Diver... DW will rent me an Otter Skin, but they don't rent neoprene... :<

I think I'll go membrane/weezle to start with - and then get myself a crushed neoprene next year. One of the advantages of being single - I won't have to justify buying two dry suits to anyone...!

So it's down to Otter Skin and the Azdry. Do you use the Otter Skin?

·
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Dave,

If your mate at Denny has an opinion on the Azdry I'd like to hear it! I'm guessing he must rate them or he wouldn't be selling them?! If he'd like to email me using [email protected] I'd be grateful! Or reply here of course...!

Thanks

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

I use the azdry codura suit, well made, very tough, i would buy it again without hesitation, in fact about six of us use them for scottish diving, its worth the extra for mtm unless you get a very good fit otp

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

weezle ultimate, i am not so sure about that thou, i liked my old polar bear tactel better, it cost more but it was better i have heard that they have started making them again.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Justin,  If its Compressed Neoprene you're after then I may be able to help.  I have a Northern Diver Divemaster with brand new Si-tek valves that I probably no longer need (having just acquired an Otter Brittanic).  It has size 10 boots and neoprene seals and has kept me very dry.  I'm 5'10 and at 13stone it was just a little too snug esp with an undersuit.

If you want to try it out let me know.  Come over on the Anglesey trip and you can try it out there.

·
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Timing, your a tad bigger than me! But thanks for the offer...!

If (WHEN) i pass my Ocean Diver, I would love to catch up with some of you guys at Anglesey. It's not far from me as I'm only in Chester. My club dives there regularly so I should be used to the conditions by then!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I think cordura is a bit of a mixed blessing..
I have an Otter membrane suit that's cordura. I replaced my old Avon suit with it (Let's hear it for black rubber drysuits ;) )
The Otter is way more comfortable and flexible etc, BUT it's colder on the surface.
The avon suit, being rubber, was dry within moments of getting out of the water. The cordura, being fabric, absorbs and holds moisture, and on a cold day (even in a Weezle extreme) I have felt the chill when out on the RIB, to the point I couldn't face a second dive.
So if you're likely to spend prolonged times in cold, overcast, exposed conditions, I wouldn't recommend a cordura-outer suit.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Alternative view to Dom's.

I've got an Oceanic Aerdura Ti which is Cordura on the outside. I have no probs on ribs - just make sure that you close the dump stick a good old squirt of air in in - then  a bit more for luck and setle down to nice cosy ride home or onto second dive.

The only problem with cordura I've found is it takes longer to dry at home than Fi's Otter Hammerhead but 12 hours is usually more than enough.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Imported post

Hi Justin,
Ive Been Diving a ROHO Cordura for about a year now no probs.
the material seems to take a bit of "Diving in" then its more flexible & comfy. Havent noticed the problem with chilling out of the water but the suit does seem to take forever to dry. As for undersuits try and bag a go with a ROHO Thermocline. myself & a few buddies use em & they seem a lot bit better than ordinary Thinsulate, But maybe a little over priced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts