YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Planning on being at Babbacombe tomorrow,  helping out by DM with some students.

If you happen to be around, pop over and say Hi.

Silver Golf GTI with flash BBS wheels...

Daz

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hope you get this,

Well will be there from 10 ish.   Probably there for a good few hours.  Plan is pretty sketchy at the moment depends how the students do.  

Will be me, Dave and his missus Tracey.  My better half Sam and a couple of students.  

Would be nice to get a pleasure dive in (See how the students do !).  Silver Golf WA52 HZW and Black Mondeo.  

Come over and say hi if you get out.  I will be the one in a blue and grey membrane suit, 5.7", recwing and twin 10's inverted with a smiley face on the end of the 10's  

(Probably sat on my arse trying to get into my harness  
)

Hope to see you,
Daz

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Daz

Thanks for taking time out to chat about your setup and letting me try it on. I'm now convinced.

Adrian

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Firstly,  Sorry MDemon for not making it all the way to Babbacombe.

We ended up at Meadfoot for a number of reasons.  Nice diving all in all though.

Adrian,  You are more than welcome, nice to meet up and glad it helped you make a decision.

Daz

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

How come none of you lot mentioned the big hill at Babbacombe ?.  It rained there yesterday and my my poor old van had to wheelspin to get back up.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ June 23 2003,06:50)]How come none of you lot mentioned the big hill at Babbacombe ?.  It rained there yesterday and my my poor old van had to wheelspin to get back up.
Oops,  That was one of the reasons why we never made Babbacombe.  

I think I would have been OK but my mate had 4 people and 6 cylinders + weights in his car,  also the parking can be a bit of a problem unless you get there early or in the afternoon.

Cracking site though if the conditions are good.

The biggest challenge I had was when I had a E series merc diesel loaded with cylinders and 4 people.  I took a run up from the end of the car park  
,  made it round the first corner only to find that some twonk had stopped halfway up the hill to let another car down (You could have got a bus through
)..

Now those of you who have driven a merc will know that they do not have a normal handbrake, they have a pull lever release (The handbrake is on or off) and this merc was a manual.  So once the car in front had finally buggered off.  I gave it loads of revs (I am sure the people in the car park thought it was a plane reving up),  popped the handbrake and dropped the clutch,  I swear it wheelspan all the way to the next corner  

Aaahhh  happy days.

Daz

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

DOH!  And DougP was there as well?!  B*gger!  

Well, for SOME OF US who aren't afraid of a teeny little hill  
and have a working watch,
, Babbacoombe was great!  Vis looked fine, although I counted at least 15 divers going in and I reckon they'd have stirred it all up by the looks of them!  Last time I was there we had cuttlefish all over the place - where they still there?  (Saw an octopus too - my first in UK waters).

Meadfoot looked good too - was it?  Quite a bit rougher than Babbacoombe (AKA Mt Everest). I hope the scallop dredger didn't get anyone....

Unfortunately the only way I could get out of the house and past the guards was by taking my sprog with me - so no diving unfortunately.  Don't you hate it when the water looks great but you can't get in it?!  Reverse of the usual, and just as annoying.

Because of said small person, I couldn't wait much past 11, so had to go - sorry not to have met you all.  Next time.  I'll bring crampons...

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Meadfoot was very nice,  things I saw were...

Crabs,
Pipefish,
Flounder,
Cuttlefish....

A student being sick (Yep it was a bit choppy !)

Very nice though and again sorry we did not meet up.

But we will meet up and who knows maybe even get a dive in sometime and maybe even a beer together afterwards (On me  
)

My usual sites are Brixham, Meadfoot, Babbacombe and maybe sometimes Thurlestone.

Daz

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Babbacombe was very nice also.  Things i saw were
Pipefish
Spider crabs
Tompot blennies
Rock cook  wrasse
Burrowing anenomes
Snakelock anenomes
Goldsinny
Strawberry anenome
Fan worms
Moon snail
Sole
One type of nudibranch, limacia clavigera

Babbacombe was recommended by a camera nut, so we went to see if cuttlefish were about, no such luck.
We will definately be going back there, it's a lovely little dive even though it's packed. Sea life is blinding considering it's so close to the pier/breakwater.  Our snakelocks only live at 10m in Firestone bay. Can't wait to see if my photo of the rib prop comes out

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Yep Bab is a top site
parking is no problem you just need to be a mate of Wayne in the cafe

Oh and the hill is a lot better now they have fixed the road

P.S. let us know next time you are going there and I will try and meet you.

WACKER

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Brixham rocks!

Did a fantastic dive there last week.  Always up for a die there... (Actually, that's where the octopus was, now I think about it...)

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Brixham rocks!

Did a fantastic dive there last week.  Always up for a dive there... (Actually, that's where the octopus was, now I think about it...)
My mate (the camera nut) will be totally peeved if he's missed octopus,  cuttlefish was the reason for going to Babbacombe.  I've told him that i've seen cuttlefish at Thurlestone every time i've dived there so that is the next place on his mission list.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

I got my photos back today that i took on Sunday at Babbacombe.  The photos of the rock cooks are brilliant and i got an excellent one of my mate trying to take a shot of them while they're playing peek a boo behind him.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts