YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Long time no post but I'm back

After a week of editing (and binning a lot) of pictures I have finally got something to share of our trip to Cape Verde during the first week in May.

For those who have never heard of it it is 1000km south of the Canaries and 200miles west of senegal. It really is a new resort currently only thomson do direct flights once a week out there (more flights are coming I believe).

It stays a very constant 22-25 degrees day and night with a steady 20mph wind nearly all the time with the wind dropping in the summer but the temperature not actually increasing but the lack of wind makes it feel hotter!

The diving is in it's early stages of exploration and the resorts are very much "under construction". We stayed in the Riu resort which if 5* all inclusive and was definately the best place to be at the moment as the island really is a big chunk of the Sahara dropped in the middle of the atlantic, LOTS of sand and dunes & not a lot else!!

Take a look at my site where I have done a full write up of the diving and am just working on the resort write up. I have filtered the 1100 pics and vids down to just a select few. CLICK HERE

Please feel to leave any comments the more the merrier and if anyone wants any info on the island if you are planning a trip in the near future let more know, I'm more than happy to help

Happy reading

Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cape Verde

Pleased you enjoyed the diving...whilst leaving me to drink cocktails and lay by the pool!!!

Pics and video are cool!

Would recommend Cape Verde to anyone...but go now...before it becomes benidorm!!

Can't wait to go back...may even get further than snorkelling next time!!

(PS - If you stay at the Riu it's great fun watching their in-house dive school do discover scuba in the pool - watch and you'll see what I mean!)

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Thanks for a great report, the fish life looks like a cross between the Med and Red Sea.

Your poor DM earned his money didn't he? Oh the joys of working as a dive guide in a resort!

Glad you had a good holiday though, that was a good, amusing, read. :teeth:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bex wanted to know

Bex

you left me a note about nightlife and restaurants, if you mean on the island, then be prepared for a VERY quiet life, it really is in the VERY early stages of tourism and few small restaurants and local bars and thats about your lot at the moment.

The rest of the island is basically a big flat area of sand with some roads running through it, we spoke to someone who had hired a car for the day, they came back for lunch and didn't know what else to do with the car as they had been everywhere by lunch!!

It really is a "chill out" resort either do watersports or sit about and relax

Mark

·
Registered
118 Posts
I read the review in the Diver mag and was intrigued by the place, thanks for posting your experience, really enjoyed reading your report and looking at the many images.

Best wishes
John

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
The 2 properties that my ex-wife and I bought Feb 05 on Santaigo (Sambala Developments) are now complete and she is just waiting for the paperwork to be completed and she gets the keys at the end of this month :)

I was looking to go out this summer but the flights are nearly all sold out and so the return fares are in the region of £1000 :eek:mg:

Oh well, see what happens over the winter.

You are right about nightlife etc. Nothing much but it is very nice and peaceful as a consequence!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flights!!

Try looking for flights via portugal they are much cheaper but you have to change half way. We have been looking at the idea of some property out there, but after visiting not to sure on the risk factor at the moment especially when you seem the construction work "in progress" but saying that the final results don't look at all bad.

How did you you go about finding the right place at the right price???

Mark

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
How did you you go about finding the right place at the right price???
Jen's father died nearly 3 yrs ago and she had £110k left. We were looking to put it into a UK property to invest and then by luck wondered into The Overseas Property Agency in Chippenham and told them what our requirements were and they recommended the Sambala development (he had just bought one himself). We bought 1 x 3 bed place (65k) and 1 x 1 bed place (45k). 4 weeks later we flew out and had a look at a desert! Nothing there but we have seen the pictures now and it is very nice.

When we flew out we had 2 changes, once in Porto, next in Sal and then down to Praia. The direct flights are due to start in November this year for around £500.

Jen is going to sell the 3-bed place for around £180k and use that to pay her mortgage off and I will also get a share of the profits (deposit for my house as living in FMQ at the moment). The 1-bed place will be kept as a family holiday home and rental property.

If you are interested, drop Steve a ring at the TOPA. Very friendly guy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just been doing a bit of research and I see what you mean about the flight costs no matter how you go about it, it's going to cost you £1000+ to get there, we only paid about £1450 for a week all inclusive out there for the 2 of us!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts