YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right!! Where to start?? :confused:

Flew to Cape Verde on 7th May for 2 weeks. First impressions after exiting the Airport were ' ooh we've landed on Mars!' :) Red Barren Landscape as far as the eye could see.

We arrived at the Dive Centre the following morning (we dived with Cabo-Verde Divers) and were driven to the pier where we boarded the Rib. Feeling really excited now as had been told at the briefing, and had read on the website that we could expect to see several variaties of Shark :teeth: , Turtles, usual Reef Fish, and possibly even Mantas.

I'll not go into the diving in detail, as it pains me to much to recall it.

The Diving in a word was s**t :frown: Depths ranged from 14-42 metre dives. Did we see any of the above? Eh No, Saw the odd parrot fish, the odd moray and a shoal of squirrel fish. This was the same for every days diving that we did. Saw a Cuttlefish twice, a flute fish now and again and then.......Nothing.

The diving was very samey......( is that a word ? ) The currents were strong, and the seas were rough.

In the evenings it gets even worse, nowhere to go and nothing to do.

The sickening thing is, that this Holiday including the diving cost us somewhere in the region of £3500. We could have gone back to bloody Indonesia and still had some pennies left for duty free :teeth:

My advice to anyone thinking of going is DON'T DO IT!!

The only good thing that came from this Hol is that it has increased my confidence in the water, because of the conditions.

Sorry I couldn't be more positive, but would hate others to waste their money.

Corinne

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Depends on what you knew about Cape Verde before you arrived. When Jen and I went out there in Feb 2005 we knew that it was quiet and we went to Santiago which was quieter than Sal. I know what you mean about stepping onto the surface of Mars though!

Admittedly I didn't do any diving on Santiago because there were no companies there but I wasn't surprised it was quiet in the evenings.

However, while there I spoke to Peter Darracott (of SW wrecking fame of the 80's/90's), now the currator of the marine museum in Praia and also resposible for all marine archealogy on the archipelago and he said that the diving was awesome from a wildlife point of view.

Sorry you had a bad time but I am hoping things will be better on Santiago.

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
The sickening thing is, that this Holiday including the diving cost us somewhere in the region of £3500.
:eek:

Sorry you didn't have a good time Corinne. I was hoping you'd come back with a glowing report as I liked the sound of it.

Love Hxxx

·
East coast, think I dive there !
1,993 Posts
Well there will be a new dive centre out there soon and I promise you will get better diving and have something to do on a night, that's all I can say at the minute :zip: :shade:

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Well there will be a new dive centre out there soon and I promise you will get better diving and have something to do on a night, that's all I can say at the minute :zip: :shade:
Thats what I thought when I went out there 2 years ago but my time in the RAF didn't work out with me going out there...although that might change!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be honest, the lack of nightlife wasn't so much of a problem, I don't go on Hol to go clubbing every night, could stay in the UK for that. Just the lack of Restaurants, nowhere really nice to eat apart from the Hotel.

Spoke to the barman at Hotel, ( he was a dive master for 6 yrs ) he told us that the sharks were in abundance on the east coast of the Island, but for some reason we were never taken there. The furthest we ever travelled was a 15 min bounce in the rib :teeth:

What I also failed to add to original post was how friendly the people were, never had any probs there.

Even though the diving wasn't up to much, It was still nice to get away.

Corinne

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
There was a report on here a couple of weeks ago with a link to some nice photos and it looked pretty good on that post. However, 3 grand for a moonwalk and a dip does sound excessive if the diving was "samey". (It cost me £500 return flight to Oz and the diving was brill there.)

Sorry you had a bit of a let down but thanks for the report. Like others, it was on my "to do" list but I might give it a miss!

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
sorry you had a less than perfect hol.

must admit i was there before xmas and it was fab.
dived around the south of sal mainly.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Good luk to whoever is setting this up.

They are going to need it.:frown:

Everybody please be warned, in May this is not a place for inexperinced divers. The currents can be very very strong, to give you some idea we did a dive at a site called Choclassa, depth to see bed 30m, the line was at an angle of 15 degrees:eek: I am not jokeing, the current was very very strong.

They also take people below 30m and in some cases to below 40m so make sure you insurence and qualifications are suitable if your going to do this.

There are some nice wrecks although most are badly broken down. The sites are very similar. The really good part of the diving was the caves on the North west side of the island. Pic's to follow:)

The dive centre CapeVerdediving was italian and very good, nice 14m rib.

Perhaps we were unlucky but we did not see any of the pelagic stuff at all, we were told out ther that June to September is the best time for that but it does get very very hot out there that time of year.

I have heard people say that this is the next red sea, DREAM ON:frown:

And as for Sal itself its looks like the biggest construction site ever on the surface of Mars, And Santa Maria looks like a cross between Beruit and Mogadishu.........

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Oh bugger sorry to hear that it didn't live up to expectations...

And thanks for the warnings as we were looking at this as a possible destination for next year...defo won't bother now....

Kathy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts