YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Nice to put faces to names today, more determined to get a UK coastal dive sorted.

Going to be at Stoney tomorrow if any one wants to say hello.

Andy ( ancl )

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

Won't be there tomorrow, but nice to meet everyone.

Dom

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Yes it was great to meet every one and I finally got to dive with Andy (Wet lettuce), Mark (DIR), and my regular net chat buddy Diver60.  

Thanks to Digger for the diaphragms and good going M8 on the recovery. My hat is well and truly off to you.

Thanks to Andy (Wet lettuce) for the DIR video

I could wax lyrical about the jibes and fun had with Andy and Mark and what nice blokes they both were but the sad events of the day have knocked all the smiles off my face

Take care all and if you haven’t already got one then for fu*ks sake get a redundant air supply

Mark Chase

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

In this case, an independent air supply would not have helped.

Debriefing the surfaced buddy, it is apparent that the missing diver panicked - she wouldn't open her mouth to accept a reg, tore the other diver's primary from him, but couldn't use it.

My sympathies are with the very shell-shocked buddy I looked after with the excellent Stoney rescue crew and of course with the lost diver's family.

When Digs brought her up she was reported as having a pulse - but I wouldn't like to speculate how long she maintained spontaneous output. I really hope they could help her at the local A&E, unfortunatley, I think it is highly unlikely.

A sad day.

Bob - as I'm sure you have gathered from this, a diver was lost today (not part of the YD troop) and her survival looks unlikely.

Dom

Dom

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cooper @ Feb. 21 2004,17:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the sad events of the day have knocked all the smiles off my face
Why?  What happened?
Best wait for the official report I dont want to get any facts wrong. I beleive ther individuals involved in the incident were not from the group of YD divers.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Don't want to speculate too much, but she is still going, and could make it. The pulse was at the hospital, not with me.

We do what we've got to. I had the chance to maybe make a difference. I trust most of you would do the same for me.

I'll keep you posted, as and when I know, but I'm a bit dubious to start broadcasting details of everything to everyone if you know what I mean.

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dlegros @ Feb. 21 2004,17:29)]In this case, an independent air supply would not have helped.
My apolagies

The word was it was an OOA related panic attack. I am greatfull for the information as I have to say I drove all the way home asking my self how the hell it could happen.

Amazing work Digger, I hope and pray she makes it through. It would be and incredible result for the safety teem at Stony who were very impresive in the speed of their reaction.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

Digger - glad to hear the latest.

Mark, I second your sentiments towards Digger, The diver and her family and the excellent work of the SC Rescue Team.

Dom

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Nice to put some names to faces gutted to have to leave early [wife's sisters anniversary
]

I would also like to give my respect to Digger good on you mate, you stepped up to the plate well and I hope there is a happy ending for all concerned.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Having witnessed this awful incident, the first thing i noticed when they pulled her onto the boat was the single cylinder on her back.

Maybe if she had a pony she would not have paniced ? knowing she had a extra 3ltr on her back to fall back on could have gave a bit of security?

My thoughts are with her and her family.

And respects go to Digger for giving her half a chance.  Well done mate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Well done Digger, the other Rescue divers and all the Stoney Staff who helped!

Not good News according to the local bobby who I spoke to earlier.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

hi ya guys was great to see a few of you at stoney was diving with family so couldnt realy talk was nice to have a chat with bren and a few others i was sad to see the scenario with the young girl unfold i must admit it brings it home to me just how fragile we are down there and enphasises a point dive with a pony redundancy is best give youself a chance best wishes yipee diver  aka(leigh)

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

i forgot to say in my last post well done to the sc rescue people for acting so quickly and getting the rescue divers in the water to look for the young girl concerned ps well done digger for giving her half a chance and all the other rescue divers in the water respect to you all !!!!!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Imported post

I also had a great day today it was nice to see new faces.  I think the next one is the set tower in Gosport, looking forward to it..  

I also witnessed the sad incident from start to finish.  And I am full of prise for the Stoney crew; they must practice their drills because they were shit hot and so were the emergency services.  But it hats off to Digger hope you are ok mate,  just wish I was there to buy a drink..

My thought are with the girl and her family I hope its all positive  

Sean

Ps I hope someone enjoyed my burgers, sorry I had to leave but I'm just about to be a grandad..

·
Registered
381 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Good to meet you all and hope you all had a great time, under the circumstances.

I had a chat with the Stoney Rescue Crew in the aftermath and they told me that they don't actually 'practice' incidents, they get 'shouts' so often that they get enought practice 'for real'.

Hope things work out of those rescued. The last news I had when I left around 4pm was that she was taken to the ICU with a pluse and it could be that the coldness of the water that assisted survival. A guy made a full recovery from a similar situation last year after EIGHTEEN minutes on the bottom ..... Keep those fingers crossed her.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Yeah, well done Diggsy whatever it is. Sounds like you gave it a good bash and here's hoping she's OK.

It's true about the cold bit. There's an old Mountain Rescue saying that there's no such thing as a cold, dead person. Only a warm, dead person.

Peter

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Hi everyone.

Good to meet everyone I met today, but looking at everyone who's posted on this thread so far I've realised how many of you I didn't manage to bump into! Next time.

Regarding the incident - very sobering, even from the persective of a bystander, unlike those who were directly involved. Mattbin and I surfaced from our dive towards the end of the episode and didn't have a clue what was going on, other than that there was obviously something bad happening. Then I recognised Digger out in the middle of the Cove, and my first thought was 'oh shit it's one of us, something's gone wrong'. It eventually became apparent that it wasn't, but--whatever actually happened--it really brought it home that it easily could have been, and that this is not a sport to be taken lightly. Like Mark I was thinking about it all the way home.

Greatest respect to all who played a role in the rescue, and my thoughts are with the diver, her family and her buddy.

Digger, hope you've had a few good beers tonight, you deserve them (and the same to everyone else who helped).

On a lighter note, I managed to take a few dodgy photos at the barbecue - pics coming soon!

Tom

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Cheers guys, It is really appreciated to have a few mates in support. I'm off to bed now. I'm still thinking about things, but we did all we could. Let's all just hope and pray for her.

I'll post what I can.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts