YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

OK during our cutting edge exploration of the deep yesterday I atempted shut down drills on my new S/H twin set. This came with the Scuberpro (i think) manifold with the hard green plastic knobs on.

I made several arttempts and did succeed in the end but all in all it was blody dificult. This surprised me as I can do it no -problem on the pillar valves on my old twin set its just the central one that causes me greif.

Any how main problem is the manifold is 320mm across where as my MDE manifold is 360mm across.

Cant do much about that but will get extended knobs ASAP.

Second problem is the vlaves are very stiff to turn. So the question is can anybody sugest a way of loosening the valves. Can I use a special loob on my 02 cleen rig or is there a way of moding the valves to turn more easily. I seem to remember a mention of a valve mod on a DIR site but I havent been able to find any details.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

First things first, are the bands in the same place as your other set?

The scubapro manifold has the scubapro logo on the isolator and also on the pillar valves. Green knobs seem to me to belong to a Beaver manifold. You should replace them with rubber knobs, less likely to break and easy to grip.

One test is to take the knob off by undoing the screw and seeing how easy it is to turn the knob without the screw and spring in place. If it is easy then the resistance is caused by overtightening the screw compressing the spring too much. By loosening the screw the knob should turn easier.

If its still too tight then it might all need disassembling, cleaning up and relubing.

Andy

·
Registered
130 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ Sep. 04 2003,13:00)]The scubapro manifold has the scubapro logo on the isolator and also on the pillar valves. Green knobs seem to me to belong to a Beaver manifold. You should replace them with rubber knobs, less likely to break and easy to grip.
If the manifold is a Beaver one apparently, although they are the barrel 'o' ring type, they are not balanced and therefore can become stiff to operate.

Could need servicing.

Regards, Ian.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Beaver make both, IIRC, so there's no gaurantee is's barrelled..

Either way, Runneymede dive solved my SOS manifold's stiffness no problem, so a competent dive shop should be able to fix this one, whatever it happenes to be

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Someone had to say it. Fancy complaining about a stiff knob!

Funny looking moray?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ Sep. 04 2003,13:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]First things first, are the bands in the same place as your other set?
Yes the valves sit at exactly the same height, but the bands on my old twin set set the tanks further apart than the bands on the new set. Hence I have to use a MDE manifold designed for twin 15ltr tanks on my old set. Thats where the additional 40mm comes from.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The scubapro manifold has the scubapro logo on the isolator and also on the pillar valves. Green knobs seem to me to belong to a Beaver manifold. You should replace them with rubber knobs, less likely to break and easy to grip.
I think you could be right it is a bever manifold. The extended knobs I mentiond are infact the rubber ones from Izzy in Portland

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One test is to take the knob off by undoing the screw and seeing how easy it is to turn the knob without the screw and spring in place. If it is easy then the resistance is caused by overtightening the screw compressing the spring too much. By loosening the screw the knob should turn easier.

If its still too tight then it might all need disassembling, cleaning up and relubing.
Tryed the above it didnt make much diferance so it looks like a strip down job. The manifold is aparently six months old and the whole set looks good as new so I dont think its an old age issue.

Thanks for the tips so far.

What about the lubricant issue ?? any advice

Mark Chase

·
Mexican Dive Bum
516 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mark,

My twinset (Scubapro Manifold) is in with Dorset Dave at DDS for O2 cleaning and to give the valves a good clean and grease to see if it makes turning them easier.

I can turn all the valves off at the moment but they could be easier to turn.  I will let you know if it makes a difference when I pick the set up.

Best,

Lanny

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Off the DIS list:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It is not a joke, but one of the best methods of valve cleaning is to put it
inside the dishwasher.

(Use the forks and knifes plastic container, but be sure you are not
breathing from a spoon next dive ;-)

Regards,
IB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts