YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Don't do as I did !
As recomended on the web I used plumbers mate to blank the ends of the backplate and poured the lead.
As the plumbers mate is oil based it took up a great deal of the heat AND BECAME VERY STICKY.
After the lead had set and about 1/2 hour later I decided to clean the backplate of crud. the plumbers mate apeard quite warm and stuck to my thumb the heat seemed to increase and by the time I managed to get it off it had sevearly burnt my thumb.
I think either leave to cool in water or use plasticine and take care

wax
other than that it makes a good 4 kg weight

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I used playdo.
It goes a bit black and hard where the lead touches it, but other than that, it's ideal

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

My plastic backplate has some hollow spaces - I think I'll give this "add lead" thing a try.

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (abucksdiver @ June 16 2003,13:47)]...but I don't suggest you use the "melted lead" approach! Shot has its advantages!
Has to be melted lead otherwise the shot will rattle when I walk (well stagger).

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

You don't pour molten lead into the holes of your plastic backplate. What you do is, you buy the resin they use with fibreglass and pour that into the holes while adding lead shot, then it won't rattle or fall out.

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ June 16 2003,16:48)]You don't pour molten lead into the holes of your plastic backplate. What you do is, you buy the resin they use with fibreglass and pour that into the holes while adding lead shot, then it won't rattle or fall out.
A most excellent idea BUT not as much fun as the molten lead option.

My first reply was an attempt at getting some funny replies (bored at work again) and now I am seriously considering the idea - resin version of course.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Adding lead to the backplate, hmm what happens if you want to go abroad with it, that will be plenty of excess baggage payments Sir.

Just a thought
Matt

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ June 20 2003,13:45)]Adding lead to the backplate, hmm what happens if you want to go abroad with it, that will be plenty of excess baggage payments Sir.

Just a thought
Matt
<font color='#000080'>No problem...

You just wear it on the plane  

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Do you reckon there's any rules about pumping you suitcase with He for a flight? It'd get you through the check-in, wouldn't it?

I suppose under some law or other it's going to be illegal, and that's when the strip-searches will be called into play...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts