YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Any suggestions on which backplate (SS) to use with a Tekwing?
I've done a few dives with it now using the original ABS BP plus twin 12's and it bends alarmingly.
Portland Oceaneerings look well made and attract the magpie in me but are not the cheapest - advice please.

Thanks all.

Then will come the harness questions.......  

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Richie
Can't say as I've seen mine bend, but am not sure the harness is man enough to last any length of time with all that weight (like you, twin 12s). I was lucky enough to get a decent s/s backplate off eBay (no idea of the make), but for £23, couldn't complain! Initially decided to make a one piece harness, but instead have bought an X-Tec harness (will keep the ABS as is for holidays). I did look at the OMS DELUX STRAP HARNESS 6 D-Rings & Quick Release (Straps Only - No Backplate) from Divers Warehouse (item 01420) at just under £60, but when I got offered the X-Tec, it was too good to turn down.  I have 6 metres of 2" webbing and 4 D-rings to get you started with a one-piece - if you're intetested, they're yours for £12.50 (inclusive of P&P). Anyway, from other reports, the comboro comes highly recommended (and a lot cheaper than the CD/OMS/DiveRite ones). The only thing I need to do is make some more holes in the Tekwing to cater for the different hole positions in the harness/backplate, but it should be a nice easy job to swap over. The only reason I decided against a one-piece harness was that I didn't like the sound of trying to get out of them, so wanted a harness with at least one shoulder clip to ease getting it on/off.
Anyway, HTH
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Like Adrian says Richie, the Combro plate is excellent value for money.  

£40 including postage (and it weighs 2.5kg).  If you manage to bend it let me know.  The only thing you will have to do is possibly smooth off a few rough edges (Mine only required a few minutes at most).  

It also has slots for cam bands so could be used with a single if required without need of a single tank adaptor.

Related Link Combro backplate

HTH,
Daz

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>These are worth a look at.  
http://www.aleutian.co.uk/
Although i'm biased having just bought one.  I had a Diverite back plate before this and it doesn't come close to quality or strength.  I can drive over this one in my car and all it does is put tyre marks on it.  Doug Proof.

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Thanks all, I'll check your suggestions out.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Don't know if it helps a lot, but I've been using a combro plate and tekwing for a while now and it's fine for pretty much any diving I can throw at it.

You need to put some holes in the wing if you're using bolts, but that's easily done with some brass eyelets. I got mine for 50p.

For singles, you need to cut a set of slots in the wing slightly lower as they don't line up with the Tekwing slots. Top one does, but you need a lower set. Easily done with a stanley knife at Stoney, no problems as yet.

All in all, I'da say go for the combro plate and do it cheap. I found it more than good enough for my needs, and I'd imagine the needs of pretty much any diver.

I've looked at other plates, and the only advantage I can see to some of the more expensive plates is the slots if you want to use the buddy twinning bands, but I've just got those for holidays now, I find the S/S system much easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts