YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

You may remember from previous posts of mine that I have been considering (for some time) about putting together a DIY wing. Now Woz is offering a backplate service at what seems to be a reasonable price ....

Currently I am diving twin 10s with a 3 ltr aluminuim (soon to be changed to a 5 ltr steel which is 2 kgs heavier when empty than the full 3 ltr).

I hate weight belts + I don't really like weight harnesses that much. I currently put my 6 kgs of lead in my trim pockets on my existing wing and feel pretty well balanced in the water.

Would I be right in assuming that I should go for the 5mm heavier backplate to cut down on the amout of lead or am I missing something here (will not be taking this set up on holliday with me).

Any recommendations on bladders that you use (only want a single bladder)?

Do I need to consider the size of the wing with regards to the size of the backplate.

Are ther any other questions I dhould have asked?  

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>get a V weight!

theoretically lead is better than steel being more dense you need less then you do of steel

you can get about 3.5 kgs between the bands on a twin set and the palte is 2.4 kgs

so as silly as it sounds it's better to carry lead than steel cause you get more sink for your weight therefore less weight - makes sense
?

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (beanie @ April 30 2004,12:03)]get a V weight!

theoretically lead is better than steel being more dense you need less then you do of steel

you can get about 3.5 kgs between the bands on a twin set and the palte is 2.4 kgs

so as silly as it sounds it's better to carry lead than steel cause you get
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]more sink for your weight therefore less weight - makes sense
?
Er ..........

Denseness and I are closely linked so I think I get what you are saying.

On that basis do you think an aluminuim backplate would be a better option.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

And the holes holding your twinset to your plate won't elongate due to the weight - Hey, that almost rhymes
- of your twinset if using a steel plate.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Except of course you have to carry the wing/tanks into the water from the jetty/beach if jumping in a Rib, as I found out this weekend, personally I prefer the 6/8 Kg on the belt as it spreads the load over two items making transport 'easier', a relative term. I lifted Daz's twin 7 300 plus steel b/p and P weight, bugger that!!! Done my muscles in.

Rgds
Matt

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

If you are mainly doing Uk sea dives with twins then go for a steel backplate which is strong and rigid enough to support your twins but light enough for you to carry your set to/from the boat (assuming you are diving from a hard boat; a RIB would be better with a lighter plate).

It all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. Would you prefer to have more weight in a larget lump to lug about before/at the end of a days diving or live with a separate weight belt? Personally I'd go for the latter but thats because I plan to have some use out of my knees and back when I'm in my 60s!  

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nick Bown @ May 04 2004,10:35)]It all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. Would you prefer to have more weight in a larget lump to lug about before/at the end of a days diving or live with a separate weight belt? Personally I'd go for the latter but thats because I plan to have some use out of my knees and back when I'm in my 60s!  
Sounds like the 3mm steel plate is the option I will take.

I currently put all my lead in the trim pockets (to avoid using a weight belt) so I guess I'll go for the all in one lump option.

I have no pretence about being tough and 'kin hard so I currently, whenever possible, put my twins on my little two wheel trolley and carry them that way.

46 now and my knees are already worrying me - they seem to be not only knackered BUT they are getting closer to my waist !

No, wait, I've been measuring up the back of my legs and I think my arse has sagged - phew.

No wait - that's bad.

I 'kin hate being poxy middle aged.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Bryan
I hated ALL my mid-decade birthdays, trust me 49 is a lot better than 45/46, I REALLY hated that one, but by the time you get to be nearly 50 you start to think, hey not bad for a near OAP  
. I can dive, not as good as a young 'un, but OK, not many can say that so go with it and enjoy.

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts