YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I'm purchasing a Diverite Recwing after good advice from this site. But rather than opt for the transpac 2, i've decided to build my own harness & backplate. The question is do I buy a 3mm combro plate or 6mm Aleutian. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who uses either with the Recwing.

Regarding the Harness, does the webbing cut into the shoulders without shoulder pads, and are their any tricks to make donning easier (Getting arms into harness without shoulder adjustment). Any tips would be appreciated!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Good choice.

I use a combro plate with a recwing, works very well.

As for the 3mm or 6mm, well the 6mm aleutian one will be heavier but to be honest you are a better man than I if you can bend or damage the combro plate.

I use a custom weight that sits in the grove of the backplate so I don't need any additional weight and thus the 3mm was fine.

As for the harness,  mine is pretty minimal, no shoulder pads (Nope you won't need them), a few D rings, a bit of bungee for the LP corrugated hose and a bit of bike innertube on the other side for my mini Q40.

Finally as for getting into mine,  I sit in front on the floor, put my arms back though arm holes and that's it, (well actually it is not quite as easy as it sounds but it works).  Failing that you can extend one arm hole and use a single clip to take up the excess webbing,  basically still one piece as on Dom's web site.  Dom's site

HTH
Daz

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Nov. 17 2003,17:16)]
As for the 3mm or 6mm, well the 6mm aleutian one will be heavier but to be honest you are a better man than I if you can bend or damage the combro plate.
Bring it down here daz and i'll give it a try.  If you had an Aleutian one you wouldn't need the weight, would you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Cheers Daz, i've already got some old lead on order from a builder friend to cast a p-weight. Any recommendations on where to buy budget s/s d rings etc. I'm not a cheapskate honest! Being broad shouldered I could also do with some adjustable shoulder buckles as I have enough of a job getting into my BCD with the shoulder straps at full extension. Any recommendations will be gratefully received.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>on the topic of shoulder pads, do the custom divers and other brands fit onto standard webbing??

thanks

Chris

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ Nov. 17 2003,17:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Nov. 17 2003,17:16)]
Bring it down here daz and i'll give it a try.  If you had an Aleutian one you wouldn't need the weight, would you.
Um well if anyone could destroy it Doug it would probably be you  

Actually the 3mm combro weighs 2.5kg so I guess the Aleutian 6mm probably weighs about 5kg.  But then my combro plate and the 2 weights I made came in quite a bit cheaper than the Aleutian backplate.  

I think the weights I made are about 2kg and 4kg or there abouts so I would probably need some weight even with the Aleutian backplate in salt water..

But the Combro is £40 cheaper....  Also the Combro plate has cam slots so it can be used with singles.

Daz

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cthomas @ Nov. 17 2003,19:45)]on the topic of shoulder pads...
Ah, the 'Joan Collins & Dallas' school of SCUBA!

Mind you, could easily go hand-in-posing pouch with 'Trey's' (GI3) bouffant hair-do  

·
Registered
320 Posts
Imported post

Daz,

how long did the Combro plate take to arrive once you placed your, and was it difficult to smooth the rough edges?

cheers  

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I think it was a couple of weeks,  but then they were waiting for the next batch to come in,  Give them a ring, if they have a batch in then they can normally ship pretty quickly.

As for the rough edges, well it took me about 10 minutes, but to be honest, mine could do with another 10 minutes.

A small files and some hardwearing sand paper should do it.

Daz

·
Registered
130 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ian.smyth @ Nov. 18 2003,11:47)]how long did the Combro plate take to arrive once you placed your, and was it difficult to smooth the rough edges?
You can also get backplates from here

http://www.ritherdon.co.uk/detail.asp?mnuSelect=shop&id=67

They don't need any finishing either. They come with smooth edges and you can order via the web.

Regards, Ian.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Hey, just had a look at that stuff - it is all very reasonably priced indeed.  Do you have any experience with any of it aprt from the b/p?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I've got one of their valve guards on my twins and can't fault the quality.

BTW,  I looked at the picture of their backplates (They are quite new, they never used to do them!) and I cannot see any sign of camband slots despite the description.

Daz

·
Registered
320 Posts
Imported post

Just had a look at the ritherdon plate, looks good but as Daz said no cam band slots which I need.  Will give Combro a call.  

·
Registered
130 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ian.smyth @ Nov. 18 2003,16:06)]Just had a look at the ritherdon plate, looks good but as Daz said no cam band slots which I need.  Will give Combro a call.  
A friend has just bought one of the Backplates from Ritherdon but I haven't seen it yet so can't comment on the cambands. I must admit though. I can't really see the value of using the cambands with the plate. If you use a single tank with any backplate to more solid way is to use a single tank adapter and bolt it to the plate as you would a twinset (the cambands are on the single tank adapter). If you use a camband directly with the plate surely it defeats the object and is a bit unstable as the cylinder is resting on the narrow channel of the backplate.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ian Murray @ Nov. 19 2003,13:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ian.smyth @ Nov. 18 2003,16:06)]Just had a look at the ritherdon plate, looks good but as Daz said no cam band slots which I need.  Will give Combro a call.  
A friend has just bought one of the Backplates from Ritherdon but I haven't seen it yet so can't comment on the cambands. I must admit though. I can't really see the value of using the cambands with the plate. If you use a single tank with any backplate to more solid way is to use a single tank adapter and bolt it to the plate as you would a twinset (the cambands are on the single tank adapter). If you use a camband directly with the plate surely it defeats the object and is a bit unstable as the cylinder is resting on the narrow channel of the backplate.
It depends,  with a single camband then yes it can be unstable,  I have used my Combro with singles (2 cambands) and it is very stable.

It really just comes down to cost and the Combro plate is cheap £40 inc P&P (No STA required).  Some plates will require a STA which adds cost.

Daz

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I've just won on Ebay!

Drifty now has a Halcyon backplate and harness!

So pizzed off that I didn't get the Explorer 55lb wing as well, went for only £142! So what does the Halcyon plate match holes with? I need a wing now....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>My God! I'm going DIR!

I need a black front loading drysuit.

Wonder if I can get a place on the Cappers course?  

And I'll have to lengthen my hose  

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Saw that but didnt go for it, wonder who won it, glad it was one of our lot. Well done.
Matt

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Cheers Matt,

Just wish I'd be able to go for the wing too....

Ho hum, part way there to DIR-Godloving.... Just need the furry leopard print Speedo's  

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Can't you just buy another wing of your choice, and put eyelets in where you need them? I had to stick them on my Buddy wing, and it's a ten minute job if you have the tools (most of which come in a £5 eyelet set)

So you're on the lookout for whatever you feel like. Please, please buy a bungeed OMS. Just for the comedy value.

And Daz, a halcyon valve guard? Eh? I'm confused. I thiought they only catered for DIR boys. Looking at their catalogue there are a few discrepancies I suppose!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts