YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Out of his depth
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm looking to buy a new SMB. I've got a bog-standard self sealing one which I will keep as a spare, but I can't decide between a crack bottle or CO2 cartridge SMB for the new one. Any opinions or recommendations?

cheers

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
I have a crack bottle job for my primary blob, people bang on about forgetting to fill it, simple tip, everytime you fill your cylinder, fill the crack bottle too, then you don't forget. The only other moan is they are a little bulky, this is true but I clip it off on my right hip and don't notice it. If I am working my way through tight spaces inside a wreck I hold it in to my body so it does not snag. It works very well and IMO is a worthy investment.

I have a standard one as a back up in a pocket and a yellow CO2 jobbie for a shit/fan happening, I have yet to use it in anger but gave it a go when I got it and they work very well, carts are cheap if you buy in bulk.

Thats how I work it and it works for me

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
I use a CO2 blob but it's a "special"- a standard sealed orange DSMB with OPV and baffle where you can flubble up its arse, but with a CO2 cylinder fitted too so you can use either. A sort of AP blob but CO2 fired.

Last weekend, I saw 2 AP blobs being fired and both had empty cylinders. And I can tell you they are an absolute arse to fire manually- the crack bottle holds the throat shut preventing gas from getting into the bag. Not at all impressive.

My blob was made for me by this chap:
SMBs Surface Maker Boys

·
Out of his depth
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Woz, I'll email the chap at aqua elevations - I did have a look at their site before but didn't know they did custom work.

·
Off to T.D.F.
695 Posts
I use a CO2 blob but it's a "special"- a standard sealed orange DSMB with OPV and baffle where you can flubble up its arse, but with a CO2 cylinder fitted too so you can use either. A sort of AP blob but CO2 fired.

Last weekend, I saw 2 AP blobs being fired and both had empty cylinders. And I can tell you they are an absolute arse to fire manually- the crack bottle holds the throat shut preventing gas from getting into the bag. Not at all impressive.

My blob was made for me by this chap:
SMBs Surface Maker Boys
Interesting - I was after something similar, but was told by Kent Tooling that they didn't do one because it wouldn't work. I take it that it does? How much did it cost?

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Mine did that too me last week. :(
Looking back I should have just pulled the bottle off and stuffed it in my pocket.
Hindsight, as they say, is an exact science...

Normally the crack bottle one is as easy as pie and having to remember to fill it is the same as having to remember to fit a new CO2 thingie.
It hangs on a ring so I don't care how big it is.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have a crack bottle one too. Like others have said they are quite bulky but I clip it to a d-ring and it's no problem. I have never forgotten to fill it, but I have a rule not to roll it up unless I have filled the bottle.

·
hates the wind
889 Posts
I have a crack bottle one too. Like others have said they are quite bulky but I clip it to a d-ring and it's no problem. I have never forgotten to fill it, but I have a rule not to roll it up unless I have filled the bottle.
That's what i do, good tip IMO

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I have one and detach it after use, before deflating the blob, then fill it before re-attaching the deflated blob, I have only once coc£ed it up and that was by not screwing it on properly (DIN), on that occasion filling it manually was no problem.

·
Team Peanut Butter
2,306 Posts
I have one and detach it after use, before deflating the blob, then fill it before re-attaching the deflated blob, I have only once coc£ed it up and that was by not screwing it on properly (DIN), on that occasion filling it manually was no problem.
:confused:Filling it manually nearly lost me and drowned two other divers.:)

Graham

·
Out of his depth
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting - I was after something similar, but was told by Kent Tooling that they didn't do one because it wouldn't work. I take it that it does? How much did it cost?
Stumo, I've just had a reply to the email I sent them - I will let you know what they say price wise when I find out.

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
we use a lot of them when working , the crack bottle ones are great , ,,, as ive posted before , no one ever rolls an smb up unless they have filled it first. we seldom have an empty smb / no deploy ... they are expensive and slightly bulky ,,, but ,,,, if your having to throw up an smb theres allready something going on , crack bottles are simple to use so less task loading. mind you , it goes without saying reel quality counts , another tip ,, throw away the first 10m of line off your reel , leaves good sides and lets reels pay out without birdcageing ,, you can save the first 10m for lashing on bolt snaps if your that way inclined i guess...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts