YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>OK the final team list is as follows....

Mary
Porg
Dave King
Camdiver (connor)
Simon A,
Ali
Paul Hinchliffe
Steve C
Narked at50 (james)
John Mitchell

(Pierre)

People have booked flights individually, accomodationa and car hire will be paid for as a group, diving equipment will be hired direct from strand without any money passing via me to strand. I have organised dates and accomodation, however I am not acting as trip organiser in anyway so far as diving is concerned.

It's important to me guys that you all understand you're responsible for your own dive, you're responsible for your own equipment, and just cause I've started this thread, it does not make me responsible for how you choose to dive, or your dive plan.

I'd also expect everyone to be qualified to do the dives they've signed up for. Hope this clarifies any problems

Mary

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello,

Cannot wait  

Wow Mary mentioned my name on the forum and about getting wet, I promise to show you how.....ehhhh....underwater  

A good excuse to me the lot, come on here

Regards

Pierre

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>In my ten years as a police officer I have seen and done it all - I've been shot at, beaten up, crashed cars, policed Millwall matches, been in the Oldham and Bradford riots, fought pikey bare knuckle prize fighters (and lost badly) - but always got up and came back for more ...

... but it would take a braver man than I to go on holiday with you two!!!  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Well I might be up for a trip to Malta. After all I've promised myself multiple dive holidays abroad this year
Not sure if I qualify for the first two categories but I am most definately male  

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Mark

Did you ever go to Bernard Mannings` night club ? A couple of hours there would qualify you for this trip. However, I don`t think the Maltese beer is watered down.

Steve

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

You do now.

I'll consider your offer ladies, but I might well be working on how to get a degree by then, about 2 and a half years too late.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Dig

I don`t know if that photo is current, but you look a bit too young. You could get the girls into trouble

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Dec. 04 2003,18:05)]In my ten years as a police officer I have seen and done it all - I've been shot at, beaten up, crashed cars, policed Millwall matches, been in the Oldham and Bradford riots, fought pikey bare knuckle prize fighters (and lost badly) - but always got up and came back for more ...
Had your nose broken off a 16 year old Girl

Peter

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I might be up for a trip by then, keep me posted if possible.

BTw any idea, which town you are going to or which centre you are diving with?

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I know (been there twice), but there is a big difference from being in some Hotels that are miles from anywhere and have a tiny dive centre and no facilities and being in one of the town, such as St Pauls where you have bars, clubs and restaurancts and excellent centres such as Maltaqua or Strand.

So it doesn't make too much difference to where you dive but does make a difference to where you drink and who you dive with (although not in that order).

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

This looks like it could be a good trip. Please keep me posted.
Sorry but I'm not very Impressionable!
Also Mrs A would come on the trip with me as well.

Simon A

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

Well, we are planning somewhere like Buggiba, or St Pauls (round the corner if you arnt familiar with Malta).  I have dived with Maltaqua who are FANTASTIC, but expensive.  Mary aka "driven snow" is looking into who offers the best deal.
For those of you who havent been out there before, you need to be a sports diver (i think) and need to have a medical!  These can be done out there cheaply but then you run the risk of failing and having to sit and watch us dive.
The diving we are planning is the usual stuff, appart from i want to do the Blenheim Bomber (oh baby yeah).

And yes, Digger is to young, he is still sweet and impressionable by my standards.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Dec. 06 2003,11:13)]And yes, Digger is to young, he is still sweet and impressionable by my standards.
Are you sure we're talking about the same one, have to say he has developed a certain chubbyness to his cheeks since that photo was taken though.

OK, been looking at prices, maltaqua is expensive so I've looked around.

At the moment am looking at prices from Strand Diving Services, these also seem to have a good reputation from what I can establish and have been very helpful so far.

strand's website

done some sums and what it's looking like at the moment is

Accomodation (inc airport transfers), between £60-£30 PP per week depending on numbers.

Hire of 12l tank and weights for unaccompanied diving £25 pppw, includes one extra fill a day - have checked and realistically we can just take 2 in the morning. If we want to do 3 dives a day the extra fill will be £3. They also hire manifolded 12s for any who might want them £5.80 per day with extra fills at £3.

We can go out on on the strand's rib unaccompanied for £8 or accompanied by a guide for £14 each. For those who don't know most of malta is shore diving but a boat is necessary for some dives eg the bomber.

Car hire various quotes between £75-£94 for the week for a category A car, depending on numbers we can just do multiples of two or look into bigger cars, but just to give you an idea so far so, approx £40pppw

To dive independantly in malta you must be sports diver, AOW or CMAS 2* or equivelent. You need to apply for a permit, Strand can do this for us for about £3 but pierre may also be able to help.

You will need a proper medical to dive in malta not just the bsac self-assessment tick the box effort. This can again be arranged by strand for about £6, but as porg said you may want to get this sorted before you leave so you don't get to work on your tan and watch the rest of us.

So.....

average £45 accom
£25 tanks
£40 car
£3 permit
£16 couple of dives off the boat

So we're looking at £130, add to this petrol (as far as I remember I used about £15 over 10 days last time), food, beer and flights.

Flights wise hopefully about £100-£120 (aparently they can be got for as little as £70 but this is probably more realistic).

These prices from strand are as is before any group discount negotiation.

and of course Simon A, mrs A is very welcome we just wondered what we could turn up with our impressionable young men wanted and by the looks of it we're out of luck

HTH

Mary (or driven snow which ever you prefer, as has already been established in the stoney 21st feb thread apparently I'm easy  
)

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

This'll be like when Patsy and Eddy in Abb Fab went on holiday?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Dec. 06 2003,11:13)]i want to do the Blenheim Bomber (oh baby yeah).
The problem with diving the Blenheim Bomber is that you need a boat with min numbers and it then makes the dive expensive for a dive which is 40mtrs deep and takes a max. of  5mins to look it over.

It is not a complete bomber, the wings are there with the cockpit and pilots chair standing at most about 1.5 mtrs off the sea bed.

l was very dissapointed, l wished l'd done teh El-Farok again

The guys we dived with in June this year was Dive deep blue

Girls please be gentle with any innocent young men you find on holiday, you could mentally scar them life.  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ Dec. 04 2003,20:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Dec. 04 2003,19:51)]You do now.
I am of course as pure as driven snow  
Hey Mary,

Shouldn't that be more akin to Dorothy Parker's quip about Jean Harlow: "....pure as the driven slush...." ?  

1 - 20 of 273 Posts