YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Monarch Airlines makes change to the baggage allowance for divers.

I've just seen this in the April edition of Sport Diver Magazine

"STOP PRESS
There is an increased baggage allowance for divers travelling on Monarch to Sharm El Sheikh. All passengers who are checking in dive equipment on the SSH flights will now be allowed 25kg hold baggage and five kilos of hand baggage before excess charges are to be levied.  This is only applicable on flights to and from Sharm El Sheikh "

It doesn't say what the source of this information was or which UK airports it applies to, hopefully it's all.  Although it appears to be a step in the right direction I think it's a bit of a compromise. I was used to getting an extra 10 kilos right up until late last year when there was an obvious clamp down, although that was never guaranteed.  I suppose if this turns out to be true at least we should be able to rely on a extra 5 kg without fear of getting charged.

I'm sure there will be someone from this forum flying soon who'll put it to the test and let the rest of us know if it is true.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KimH @ Mar. 26 2004,17:16)]Monarch Airlines makes change to the baggage allowance for divers.

I've just seen this in the April edition of Sport Diver Magazine

"STOP PRESS
There is an increased baggage allowance for divers travelling on Monarch to Sharm El Sheikh. All passengers who are checking in dive equipment on the SSH flights will now be allowed 25kg hold baggage and five kilos of hand baggage before excess charges are to be levied.  This is only applicable on flights to and from Sharm El Sheikh "

It doesn't say what the source of this information was or which UK airports it applies to, hopefully it's all.  Although it appears to be a step in the right direction I think it's a bit of a compromise. I was used to getting an extra 10 kilos right up until late last year when there was an obvious clamp down, although that was never guaranteed.  I suppose if this turns out to be true at least we should be able to rely on a extra 5 kg without fear of getting charged.

I'm sure there will be someone from this forum flying soon who'll put it to the test and let the rest of us know if it is true.
It's about time, my dive gear weighed in at 19 kg, I had to leave nearly all my civilian clothes at home! I went through check-in like the Michelin Man with three fleeces around my waste and diving torches hanging from my belt whilst wearing 6 pairs of socks and 7 pairs of pants  

·
2i/C 'Bristol Massive'
74 Posts
Imported post

it's just a shame that more airlines and flights to other destinations don't do the same.  If you are a golfer you can take your clubs - thought about putting some of the dive kit in an enclosed golf bag one year cause we couldn't get more allowance

1 - 3 of 3 Posts