YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Just thought I would let anyone know who is travelling with the above.

The excess allowance on production of a diver card is 5 kg, I have spent 2 hours weighing the kit down to a minimum when at 16 kg I thought that I would phone and book the extra on the flight.

Wow! surprise! the girl on the other end knew about diving and was using terms like "stab jacket". I explained my problem and for £30 you get what is known as a watersports package, all of your and kit no weight restrictions  

I have to have the Pony bottle empty with valve open though, not too keen on that but I'll see if I can sneek it through with a couple of Bar.

Has anyone ever managed to convince an airline that the Pony needs to be sealed?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

The answer seems to be to have the valve open but cover the opening with plastic film and Selotape. I doubt if you'll get away with leaving the valve closed.

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Imported post

I took my pony with me to the Red Sea in May.  We travelled with Monarch.  We were told exactly the sme thing, empty and open.  I drained it down to a couple of bar and closed the valve thinking that if asked I could drain it easyly.  At check in we told them we had cylinders and they just shrugged and sent them down without a word.  Did the same coming back.

I have also travelled with a pony on Emirates and things were the same there too.  Check in staff dont care or dont have the time to check, so dont worry.

Darren

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

It's actually an extra 5Kg in the luggage and an extra 2Kg in the hand baggage.  

Didn't know about the watersports package though - might be useful, especially for the techy types.

Top tip - "wear" as much heavy (non-pointy) gear as you can - I've seen people wearing their ankle weights through.  You get searched - but not weighed.  I wear a puffa-type jacket (it gets cold long haul) and fill all the pockets.  That way, I can pass the whole jacket through the x-ray without emptying any pockets.  I suggest taking your regs in your hand luggage as part of the extra 2Kg.

HTH

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

Flew Britannia in August.

Got the 5kg as standard but had to pay the normal advance booking excess fee for the rest of the stuff, worked out at about £30 for an extra 10kg.

At no point did they mention a watersport package with no weight limit.

Just come back from Ibiza with Air2000 and they gave me a nice 10kg, no questions asked.

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>All packed and weighed in at just under 30 kg. I'm taking advantage of the package and have had to get a biggar case.
Taking advice, I'll put the regs, camera and pooter in the hand luggage. I'll leave the knife in the case cos they even nick ya nail clippers in hand luggage.

Imagine "take me to iran or I'll clip your nails"

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Simon TW @ Oct. 14 2003,18:34)]Imagine "take me to iran or I'll clip your nails"
<font color='#000080'>Now you jest, but I have seen serious injuries inflicted by nail files, a toothbrush and even a rubber chicken (poor bugger couldn't sit for a month!).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts