YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Baggage allownce Air France

633 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  nettlebum 
#1 ·
Has anyone had experience flying with airfrance? I'm off to Mauritius with them on friday for my mates wedding (i'm now a bronzed god by the way) Reading their website it looks like i'm only allowed 20kg but i can pay around 40 euros for diving equipment does this mean i'm allowed another 20kg. Also first time taking diving stuff abroad are my regs and computer ok in my hand luggage? Do i just need to show my SAA card to prove i'm a diver or what? Theoretically if my mrs said she was a diver would they check her so called dive bag and be upset if it was filled with shoes:embarassed:

Cheers for any help

Steve

#2 ·
Sorry, I don't have current info on weight allowance, but can warn you about a few things with Air Chance! The check in birds are really stroppy - and will charge you if you are overweighted. If you're transferring at Charles de Gaulle, the transport between terminals is chaotic - I've been there several times when there's nearly been a riot - people late for connections, no one knowing where to go, stroppy staff....! Good idea to study the map they give you with your tickets...! They also go through your bags in great detail at CdG - they made a friend leave all the batteries for their camera strobe behind, and confiscated a caribiner (can be used as a knuckle duster apparently!). So make sure your dive kit is all in order...

Good luck and have a fantastic time :)

#4 ·
Hi Steve,

We flew Air France to Cuba in October. You get a standard 20kg allowance (assuming you're flying economy).

We took full dive kit with us and I rang Air France and paid for the extra allowance in advance and got a voucher thingy to present at check in (this is e-mailed to you). You get one bag up to 20kg for your money.

They were well strict with me mind on that allowance, the bag was less than a kilo overweight and she tried to charge me a fortune for it!! Ended up standing at the front of the queue emptying reels, blobs & intergated pouches from it as she wouldn't accept that the combined weight was less than the allowance. Fokkers.

Anyway rant over.

We didn't have to produce any c-cards at check in.

Regs and computers are ok in your hand luggage, though doubtless they'll be inspected when you have it scanned.

#6 ·
I have flown with Air France a couple of times to the Carribean.

I can only echo what's been said about them. They are a complete shower and will make every effort to lose at least one of your bags.

With regard to hand luggage, the security is inconsistent and over the top. I flew London to CDG, transferred to Orly L'Ouest [a joy all on it's own; caused me to miss the flight and I was then forced to stay in Paris overnight], and back to Paris, all with a Kowalski in my hand luggage. This was then rejected in CDG before the flight to London, and I had to go back and check in the hand luggage. Which they promply lost. When I got to baggage claim in Gatwick, their luggage monkeys were throwing bags around like it was a competition to see who could cause the most damage.

I will say this; stroppy they may be, but their counter staff are complete babes. I got to the Customer Service desk in Orly L'Ouest ready for a proper shouting match, only to be confronted by a total showstopper. What could I do? Meekly accept her apology obviously.

Have fun.

#9 ·
I will say this; stroppy they may be, but their counter staff are complete babes. I got to the Customer Service desk in Orly L'Ouest ready for a proper shouting match, only to be confronted by a total showstopper. What could I do? Meekly accept her apology obviously.
That's fine if you're a bloke! I flew with a year's worth of clothes and kit. I had 2kg less than my pretty-boy friend. He smiled charmingly and got away with it. The 'babe' then tried to charge me for 14Kg over weight :eek:

It was all sorted in the end, but the moral of the story is, if you're a bloke, flirt. If you're a girl - pack sparingly!

#7 ·
I don't think i'll mention any of this to the bride :frown: if they loose her dress i think bride and groom will conquer France single handed:teeth:

Cheers for the help though guys although i am worried about taking my kit now if they lost it all the toys would come out of the pram:embarassed:

#11 ·
Air France gave us an extra 10kg each for scuba gear (sports equipment), free, gratis and for nothing when swmbo and self flew to Dubai a couple of years ago.

I concur on CDG, couldn't even get a croissant would you believe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.