YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>i got an e this afternoon that i saved, scanned for virus, and was announced "clean" only when "unzipped" did it reveal itself to be bagle worm. avg ripped it out in short order, but i thought it best to pass on the info, i understand these things are mostly from corrupted addresses, this one came from a plymouth address with a decidedly "diving" theme, i have sent an e to the sender (?) advising of the situation but wont hold my breath waiting a reply!
             anyone else been ambushed like this?
??
                                mike marsh.  

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Yes - in answer to your ambush question BUT my virus protection caught the virus when it was unzipped.

Don't forget there is a lot "spoofing" going on as well - in that emails are sent using other peoples email addresses (without their knowledge).

I get 6 or 7 replies (to my commercial email address) every day from ISPs saying they have returned MY email even thought I/we never sent it.

Between spammers and these virus writers I really would like to punch someones head - quite vigorously!

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

As finless has correctly stated;

Quite alot of the new internet viruses spoof the sender. This usually means that the person who has the virus has your e-mail address on their machine somewhere (most of the new Virii harvest the e-mail addresses from scanning your machine's hard disk or from the address book / contacts)
Their machine then sends the infected mail with what looks like you as the sender.

The problem we're seeing at the moment is the 'you've sent a virus to us' notification e-mails which seem to be just as bad as spam sometimes.

For any information about a virus, visit;
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/

and put in the virus name. The explanation on sophos' website is usually top notch.

Mark.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts