YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just done my first dive without an instructor this week on the Inspo and have been thinking about the bailout setup. I have a 7l stage clipped onto the harness currently. I was thinking that 2 x 3l ponies, one bracketed on each side would be nicely balanced but that would need 2 regs, 2 gauges and 2 inflators which I see as too much clutter. Would manifolding them with a HP hose between the first stages be a good or bad idea? Are there any other options?

Thanks
Martin

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
stick with a slung 7 for bailout while your on mod1 dives, get yourself comfortable with your unit before you start playing and fiddling with stuff.

eventually you'll upgrade from 7l to a pair of stages and then some, so get used to it.

then again go alpinist and dive with jesus.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
It totaly depends on your attitude to diving and what diving you plan to do on your Mod1 cert.

My atitude is narcosis is a bad thing to have in a bad situation. So Id have trimix as a bailout. I also beleive that if you get a C02 hit the best gas to be on is trimix as its easier to breath and has the greatist potential to reduce co2 in the body. So again trimix as bailout.

Frankly i did all my Mod1 dives on 18/45 for diluient as well. No frigging way was i going to 35-40m on air on a CCR.

Id run 21/35 as a bailout which meens you need a deco gas.

So I ran 21/35 and 50% in 7s

Now seeing as my background before going CCR was deep mix diving, diving two 7s instead of my usual two 10s and possably two 10s and a 7, seemed a luxery.

FOr training training dives by which i meen 6-20m id take a single 7 of 50% but for proper dives 30-40m id take the two tanks.

Two AL40s would have been nice but they are too expensive.

FOr situations where i am on a cramped boat and i am planning 30-40m max i have run my unit with two 7s instead of two 3s and filled the 7s with bailout gas and run a 3ltr of 02 side slung to drive the unit. This rig can work on an Inspo but you need a travel frame or SS box rather than the conventional yellow box

Down side of the rear 7s is sorting out all the hose routings etc.

All in all what ever you decide just make sure its sensible. IE 150% of your OC SAC as a minimum and plan the deco properly to see if you have enough gas.

ATB

Mark

Reactions: 24601

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. Not done mixed gas yet so I will stick with air for now. Mark, I see you have some valves which I assume allows you to use the 7s manifolded or independent or both feeding one first stage. What do you call those? With a couple of those I could start off with a couple of 3s or 7s if I sort a travel frame out.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I did Mod 1 Inspo in Feb and have dived with an ali 7 for bailout since then, but I'm just about to change to using 2 x 7's. Going to stick with 32% and 80% initially as that's what's already in the cylinders from when they were used as OC trimix deco.

·
Kit Junkie
804 Posts
I started with an Ali 80 and that's still what I use for shallow diving.

Use it at the start and you'll get used to it and you won't know it's there.

Janos
+2

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. Not done mixed gas yet so I will stick with air for now. Mark, I see you have some valves which I assume allows you to use the 7s manifolded or independent or both feeding one first stage. What do you call those? With a couple of those I could start off with a couple of 3s or 7s if I sort a travel frame out.

They are H valves with swivels.

TBH I am doing without the manifild for now and rnning diferent mixes in both tanks. I was going to run the same mix in both for deep dives to give me 14ltrs of deep bailout hence the manifold. But I decided to stick to using standard 3s for deep dives and carry my bailout.

ATB

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts