YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done that shore dive at Ballachulish, Loch Leven. Aparantly 60m wall onto sandy bottom, looking at taking a trip there, seems like there is a bit of tide at the narrows, up to 5kts. If anyone has any info i'd appriciate it.
Thanks

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
I won't pretend to have dived here but I know divers in the club I was in in Edinburgh did say its best to dive on low tide, so you don't get washed out into the Linnie if you get caught up in the tide.

Dave C

Alternatively if your up there, you can take the ferry at Corran, and dive at Lochaline as the dropp off at the end of the pier is reputed to be 80-90m straight down.

Of the dive site in Loch Lomond which is 100m straight down. Its south of Tarbet 4km.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
It bottoms out in the mid-50's though if you swim off the wall you might get deeper. It's more of a steep, rocky slope than a wall though. It's a very nice dive, lots of life on it usually and very easy access. I'd imagine you'd have to be very unlucky to get caught in the current as there is plenty to grab hold of on the way up, you could quite easily go hand over hand if you needed to. I've dived there quite a lot but never had any bother with the tides.

Other deep shore dives in Scotland... As Dave says, the pier at Lochaline is a good dive site if you want a deep shore dive. The quarry at Bonawe which opens on to the sea goes quite deep as well in a series of rocky steps, not sure what the access is like these days as it is a working quarry. Parts of Loch Duich go to 100'ish off the shore as well and the water is very clear. The ultimate deep shore dive is probably the youth hostel car park at Loch Ness, reputedly 200m'ish (I got to 124m and it was still going), straight down a wall of mud, pitch black, about 1m vis, loads of debris looming out of the dark at you. There's no daylight until about 3m, not many dives I've been so happy to hit the surface. Lochs Hourn and Nevis go quite deep off the shore, problem is actually getting to the shore as there isn't much other than forestry tracks. There are also some legendary shore dives of the Corryvreckan whirlpool which is IIRC 80'ish.

Cheers,

Stuart

·
Registered
24 Posts
I won't pretend to have dived here but I know divers in the club I was in in Edinburgh did say its best to dive on low tide, so you don't get washed out into the Linnie if you get caught up in the tide.
Are you sure you are not mixing up dive sites?
The 55m one is pretty benign.
No comment on those links about getting "washed out".
....and that is the collective thoughts of a lot of divers who dive this site.

Oh well the beauty of the internet.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Are you sure you are not mixing up dive sites?
The 55m one is pretty benign.
No comment on those links about getting "washed out".
....and that is the collective thoughts of a lot of divers who dive this site.

Oh well the beauty of the internet.
Well is was from a couple of divers Gillian Harper and boyfreind from Dundee. Not sure if you know them, and was second hand info.

:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good one, have done deep dark wall at lomond and lochaline before. I just remembered the article for winter training sites and it sounded good. Is it def the one on congeralley then? Quite near glen etive as well, havent been up there but be nice to herrang some salmon to finish off sidemount gas!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes this it.
Usually good vis/easy parking/lots of dog fish to see.
Diving on the bottom is pretty boring. We have to be pretty desperate to dive it but a very low stress dive.
This was our build up dive for U714.
For training? Perfect.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Bo Facadale

Bo Facadale is a very weather dependant site but its worth it.
Bo Fascadale

The slates dont get much curent even on springs, good for U/W pics
The Slates

The wall in Loch lomand is only good for deep training as you will see nothing
The wall

The wall at Lochaline is an interesting dive if you get it right.
Lochaline West Pier

Hope this helps you.

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts
hmmm

Bo Facadale is a very weather dependant site but its worth it.
Bo Fascadale Finstrokes dive sites

The slates dont get much curent even on springs, good for U/W pics
The Slates Finstrokes divesites

The wall in Loch lomand is only good for deep training as you will see nothing
The wall Finstrokes dive sites

The wall at Lochaline is an interesting dive if you get it right.
Lochaline West Pier Finstrokes dive sites

Hope this helps you.
Oi shameless promotion of finstrokes you scallywag :)
how the hell are you young man?

Chris

·
Registered
282 Posts
Oi shameless promotion of finstrokes you scallywag :)
how the hell are you young man?

Chris

Young man....Dont get called that often:teeth:

shameless promotion....Yes and it saves my typing it twice.....:teeth:

·
Technical Drinking International -Cidrox Instructo
228 Posts
I would be well up for exploring some scottish lakes if anyone is up for it ? Or even some Englsh or Welsh lakes in the mountains.

I read Monty Halls piece about his 3 lakes challange. Looks good but not proper dives really. Would be good to do some proper diving in some of these remote places. Ive heard some of the corries are really deep. These could be a really good serious expedition.

Anyone interested ?

·
13,407 Posts
I would be well up for exploring some scottish lakes if anyone is up for it ?
There is only one, the Lake of Menteith. The rest are lochs.

Yeah, I know, there's always a smart arse.

·
13,407 Posts
Some of the sea lochs are very deep, the RN did experimental gas diving in the 1950's in Loch Long, Loch Duich has parts over 100m, diveable from the shore, Lochs Nevis & Hourn have parts well over 100m (pushing 200m IIRC) but there isn't much by way of shore access. Inland Loch Ness is 230m deep. Some corries may well be deep but I'd be quite surprised if it goes beyond 10's of metres, never know though :rolleyes:

Like Roy Cropper?

As I said previously

SmartArse said:
Yeah, I know, there's always a smart arse.
:D :D :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi Gavin

You get about....LOL The Corries deep and meaningful music as well MMMmmm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts